DIR-F in NC One week later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well my DIR-F is over and I have had some time to mull it all over, so here are my thoughts.
The instructors were Dave Sweeten and Tyler Moon. Both of these guys are first class instructors and great guys in general. We also had an instructor trainee from Germany but I must apologize, as I have forgotten his name but another great guy.
Our class was comprised of 8 divers ranging in experience from new OW divers with less then 15 dive to an ex-instructor with 4000+ dives. I fall somewhere in the middle of the pack with about 250 dives. Included in the group were Scuba Board members Medic13, Electric Zombie, NCSCUBA, Superdave and myself.

I have read a lot of the DIR related threads over the years and really had no idea of exactly what to expect. I have heard everything from it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread to the horror stories of people not being able to take the pressure and walking off after the first day. To be honest, I was kind of expecting some Sergeant Carter ( Marine drill sergeant for those of you too young to remember Gomer Pile) up in my face "instruction" and was ready to take it. Now either GUE has created a kinder, gentler kind of DIR or a lot of what we hear on line is pure BS.. Dave and Tyler were thorough and were not bashful about telling you what you were doing wrong but it was 100% pure professional and intended to help you understand what you were doing wrong and how to correct it. They were through and pointed out your weaknesses and gave you tips on how to improve. At no time did I hear the term "Stroke" (other than once in jest) and while suggestions for improvements in equipment selection were made, no one was trashed because of some piece on equipment. My console mounted computer, about as non-DIR as it gets, was not trashed. We did discuss the preferred method of equipment configuration and equipment types but never at a personal and /or degrading level. I got the impression GUE is about as tired of the loud mouth DIR morons (DIR want-to-be's?)as some of the rest of us. We were encouraged to dive with others, demonstrate our good diving skills and encourage them to consider looking into the DIR way without trying to ram it down their throats (or ours for that matter). A totally different attitude than the "if you are not DIR I will not dive with you " attitude I have seen posted on the web.

Is this course for everyone ? I don’t think so. You have to be able to take honest criticism about your diving and suggestions on how to improve. You have to accept being held to a higher standard. If you can’t do that, you need to look elsewhere. If you can accept the criticism and the higher standards, it will make you a much better diver, I already am. Will I go total DIR, no. I still like my BC and my computer.. Will I take what I learned and become a better diver, you bet. If the class comes back to this area, I plan to try to sit in on the class again. Watching the instructors dive is almost worth the cost of the course.

The only real disappointment in the whole class was the BP itself. Over the years I have read all the glowing reports about them and was really curious to see what I was missing. The instructors loaned me a new SS BP and 36# hylcon wing. The BC I presently dive is a back inflate with a 35# wing so the comparison was a pretty fair one. Taking into account the weight of the plate, my weight requirements were almost identical. Buoyancy, trim and streamlining were very close to the same. I never did get the BP adjusted to be particularly comfortable above water, below the surface, I can’t say I noticed much of any difference. I think that if I could dive it several more times , got the adjustments a little better and got the straps broke in some it would have been better but I doubt it would ever become as comfortable as my current BC. On the other hand, if I were ever to decide to go into tech diving or dive doubles, there is no doubt that the first thing I would do is change to a BP. They are more configurable and durable but for the diving I now do, I am willing to give up the extra strength and adaptability in exchange for the comfort and the ability to quickly adjust of my current BC.

I can’t wait to get back in the water and practice what I have learned.....^$#*@*@!!!### I am going to learn to do that helicopter turn correctly.

On a side note, the LDS who held the class is considering creating a "Lets get together and pracitce our DIR skills group". Anyone interested drop me a PM and I will keep a list. If it comes about, I will let you know.

Sounds like you had a blast, and learned a lot of good information. I always did wonder how DIR classes were conducted. With people talking about gigs, I grew pretty suspect.

herman once bubbled...
either GUE has created a kinder, gentler kind of DIR or.../B]

I suspect that is the case as well as individual instructor differences.

Glad you had a good time.

herman once bubbled...
...to the horror stories of people not being able to take the pressure and walking off after the first day.

that, based on my experience, it is the individual divers who put this pressure on themselves. The instuctors seem to be nothing but kind and understanding (at least the ones that I have met.)

Chad

Glad to hear you had a great experience.

I can't wait to get back in the water again to start trying some of the things I leanred in my class.....

If nothing else, it totally motivated me to do some more diving...

again, congrats on a great class.

You guys interested in Amway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom