Diving Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone who pays as much attention to my set up as they do their own.
Someone who asks about the plan for the dive before filling out their logbook after the dive.
Someone who is a good diver and willing to learn and trade info.
Someone who has never lost the sense of wonder whether they have 10 or 1000 dives.

A good buddy:

Pays attention to what I'm doing and EXPECTS me to pay attention to what he's doing.

Will go through a 2-3 minute drill routine in shallow water to make sure we understand each other's equipment on our first dive together.

Most importantly: My buddy has my back if I have a problem underwater, because I've got his.

Peace,
Greg

1) A team player with similar interests and diving style to my own.
2) Experience is nice but a safety first attitude and a light heartedness (looking to have fun) is paramount.
3) Before and after the dive we need to "click" socially.

Turning that around.

1) If someone is an excellent diver but wants to do something that I don't then we have a missmatch. For example, I like to dive slow and look at the small stuff. If someone wants to swim around a like a torpedo looking for sharks then they can be a great diver but not a good match for me as a buddy.

2) Experience, as I said is nice, but I dive with a lot of inexperienced divers and the ones I really enjoy diving with are the ones who don't see it as "heavy" or take it all too seriously. People who worry too much put strain on themselves and their buddies.

3) Obviously you spend most of your day together on the surface. If it's not working for you socially, then they could be a match for you in every way under water but it will be a strain to go diving with them.

R..

To me it is important that my buddy and I can share a safe and enjoyable dive. That means that both our styles have to be compatable and both our experience apprpriate for the dive.

There are a bunch of things but really it all boils down to them being 'drama-free' both underwater and on the surface.

One who can communicate effectively, is always in his/her agreed upon position, is never more than a slight turn of the head out of sight, can assist me if necessary under any conditions, keeps his/her cool during those times, has buoyancy control down, and knows that I will do the same for them. And along with all of this they need to be honest and have good judgment, including that which allows them to say I'm not doing this dive. I only have few people I dive with who meet all these criteria. All the students I've trained are among them allowing for the fact that some of them would not be doing certain dives with me(I'm not taking an OW diver on one of my deep wreck dives in 38 degree water or under the ice). The others I trust in all these areas have some technical training or other advanced training(GUE).

What qualities represent a good buddy to you?

The best buddy is someone who would be comfortable and self-sufficient doing the same dive alone, two independent divers who have agreed to swim as a buddy team. For me this is the "best" situation, but not the only scenario. Certainly more experienced divers should dive with a newer diver hoping that the newbie is willing to listen and learn. The long term goal, however, should be self-sufficiency even though the diver chooses the buddy system over solo.

As has been said, a good buddy is one who dive compatibly with under water and can enjoy the SI with as well. I also like a slow dive, so I prefer not to be a rocket underwater and don't want to dive with some one that is on a race. I also want to be sure they communicate well before during and after the dive.

To me the best dive buddy is my husband. I am lucky to have a built in dive buddy, but being my husband isn't what makes him so good as a dive buddy.

He...
...is careful to about buddy checking
...is patient and willing to deviate from plans when anxiety or conditions make it difficult for me. He may be quite able to continue, but he puts his plans aside for me. (I do the same for him, but he isn't as needy.)
...keeps the goals of the dive to fun and exploration and keeps away from the risky things.
...won't attempt skills that we haven't been trained to do.
...makes it a goal to have a great day even when the dive is called.

He is the best dive buddy ever!

Back
Top Bottom