Brand Spanking New Speargun Hunter Looking for Basic Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm a brand new speargun hunter who has yet to take my new gun to the water.
Can anyone recommend a site to help me with basic information on the subject?
I don't even know spearfishers so I have no guidance at all.

Try going to Spearboard.com, look into the east coast section and post that you are looking for certain info. There are many spearos on this site that will be glad to help you out. Good luck.

Go see the Scuba Works guys right there in Jupiter, Stephen, John & Jonathon.

Read a lot of the threads right here. There's a new one from Net Doc, the Admin of SB.

Chad

my best basic information is learn your fish species, how they can look underwater, how big they are compared to how big they look, and where to find them.

then learn your regulations.

from there, what are you looking to expand on?
what type of gun do you have? that will dictate some of the advice
Since spearfishing is sooo addicting im sure you will have no trouble finding some people that really enjoy passing on their experiences to you.

pm me if you have any questions and il try to answer as best as i can

I'm in the same situation as you. I ordered Bare Bones Of Spearfishing based on a thread here on the boards and found it very informational, especially as it relates to working the spear guns and choosing bands, etc.

I second talking to the guys at Scuba Works. They are bigtime into spearing, they occasionally have clinics, and are more than happy to talk to you about spearing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom