Newbie Question about BP's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrazyDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I have only seen BP's from afar so far. With that in mind please forgive a dumb (?) question.
It would seem to me that the wingbolts that are attaching the tank bands would rub against your wetsuit on your back. Maybe not in the water but on dry land where is the protection from the end of the wingnuts. I just looked at Sydney_Divers pictures and was looking at the BP, as that seems to be the way that I am going to go with my first BC.
FredT was nice enough to send over all of his info and it just looks right, without all the doodads that I just don't want or need.

CrazyDave once bubbled...
It would seem to me that the wingbolts that are attaching the tank bands would rub against your wetsuit on your back.
The wing nuts are used to secure either the bolts of a set of doubles or a single tank adapter when using a single tank.

The wing nuts fit inside the center channel of the backplate and do not contact your suit or back. The correct length of bolt is important in that regard.

When using a Halcyon wing with built in STA (single tank adapter) the cam bands pass through slots in the backplate and no wing nuts or bolts are used.

No dumb questions here.

If the wingbolts are sized properly, they shouldn't be a problem. Obviously if they are too long, then something is going to rip. I also use an MC Pak (Halcyon) between my BP and my suit. I store an SMB there. That puts something between you and the bolt, albeit an expensive way to do that.

If you're concerned, just cut the bolt size down. Or coat it with some tool dip or similar.

Back
Top Bottom