rock scallop season and limits in WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The WA dept of fish and wildlife are considering changing the daily limit on rock scallops for divers. My question is: does anyone on this forum collect rock scallops in Washington state waters?

I was looking at the REEF database online for rock scallop abundance as reported by scuba diving surveyors and they rarely reported seeing more than a couple of rock scallops at a dive site in WA state.

The currently daily limit is 12, BC has a limit of 6 and Oregon has a limit of 25 or so.

I collect them quite regularly. They are harder to see than the pink (swimmers), but they yield a lot more meat, albeit a bot tougher. The biggest challenge I notice is getting them off the rocks once I find them. WA does not allow hammers or any other device to bust them free. All you have is your knife, muscle, and time.

Biodiversity guy,

I suggest you get the science on the species rather than just getting a feeling before you propose a change to the Rock Scallop limits at the next meeting you attend. As a WDFW commissioner your are charged with using actual science for the areas that you intend to close to retention rather than just going on a gut instinct or feelings.

We're watching.

I know this is an old thread, but I moved out here from maine and I am dying to find a place and someone to go scallop diving with. Anyone willing to show a noob some spots. I have a truck if you have a boat!!!

Ok I was not sure on above post, I PM pensacolaracer but has not got back to me, I confused a little so I figure that bio guy is a commissioner for WDFW and if what chumlord is saying you are looking for divers to tell you whats down there.

The problem is divers go to known dive sites, and of course any thing they can collect they will and my gosh you have completely no knowledge of what is in washington waters.

Seattle aquarium has a octopus count every year totally bogus I see more octos then they count with all the divers.

There is a state dive team, instead of sending doug to all the reefs that the state has, send him every where and collect some real Information.

REEF also goes to Known dive sites so there info is not all that great.

All over the san juans is rock scallops, abalone, juan de fuca plenty of them, Take some current dives on fuca for 3 or 4 miles, for gods sakes learn how to dive washington waters.

Just like the no ling cod and rock fish, there every where.

Miked 78 get a small inflatable boat and motor and go to the sanjuans and start diving and you will find them just hang on to the boat anchor line and climb in when air is low.

Back
Top Bottom