Where did all the women go? :confused:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverLS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK - I've read a lot on this board about women being co-dependent etc. What happened? I've been diving for 20 years and love diving off the boats in So. California. Our local LDS charters the Peace Boat the end of October (Yep - Nevada Day is on Haloween) and it's a nice pleasurable 3 days. Over half of the boat is instructors. It's usually 1/3 female, 2/3 male. Normal on most boats.

Well, the economics hit this year and we only have 15 divers. Most would say wopee, real limited load. Well, other than a teen with her father, I'm the only woman on the boat. That was a big surprise.

My question is just like the title of this thread, where did all the women go?

The majority of the time it's a largely male dominated sport but we're here!

This past Sunday, I did my first NJ wreck on a six pack, and out of six divers there were 2 of us who were female.

Dove the St Lawrence River the previous weekend and out of the group of 12 we had 4 women diver in the group.

When I dove the Ruby E and Yukon in May, we had four divers on the Lois Ann, and three of us were female.

We're here, not in the strong numbers as our male counterparts but we have a good showing.:D

They must've headed up here. Last week-end I spent three days on a camping/diving trip at Salt Creek State Park out on the Olympic Peninsula. There were 18 of us ... seven guys and eleven gals. It was glorious!

On the other hand, I was on the Peace in June ... 22 divers and only three of them women. Not sure why that is ... the Peace is a very nice dive boat.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe because the water is cold?

... where did all the women go?

...When I dove the Ruby E and Yukon in May, we had four divers on the Lois Ann, and three of us were female. ...

Being the only male on that dive, I could care less where the men went! :D

Maybe because the water is cold?

San Diego dive was 50 degrees and I was diving wet. I also dive the local quarry in April when water temps were 44 degrees in my 7mm wetsuit. Burrrrrr but I went back for a second dive and all the weekends afterward. :shakehead:

Being the only male on that dive, I could care less where the men went! :D

Yeah, I did not hear you complain, Dave :hugs:

I think part of it may be the water temp, but also I think I have seen less women also. Most of our trips out to Calif have been like you said, about 1/3 women, including our last trip out in Sept. Other trips seemed to be about the same.... but I can remember about 5 yrs ago it seemed more like 50/50. In fact, one boat in Fla we dove from had more women than men. So maybe it is more the economy hitting women harder than men, in the diving $$$. Or maybe the women are all staying home to take care of the sick kids (we know men won't do that. :shakehead:)

I am still diving here locally, in cold water, and most of the other divers here are men. Some of them have diving spouses but say the wife won't dive in cold water. Too bad. I am still diving! :luxhello:

I'm still diving too, in cold water, in a wetsuit. The ratio here seems to be about 10-20% women, which is fine, I have found a couple women to dive with but it's mostly men.

You are my hero. Insane, but still my hero. :)

:rofl3::rofl3: Felt more like a fool than a hero but I LOVE to dive so what's a girl to do when local dive season opens but dive!!

Hint: Although very unattractive, wearing a boat coat, a big Elmer Fudd fleece hat and sipping hot chocolate during SI helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom