Looking for Blackbeard's reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Considering Blackbeard's for a dive trip next summer. I've looked into the Nekton boats, but they don't really fit into the budget, while the Blackbeard trips do. I'm aware of the "camping at sea" element, and having never been on a more "luxurious" liveaboard, we haven't yet developed any expectations.

I've found a couple of reviews on here, and a google search reveals one (bad) review posted in several places. So I turn to you SBers, if you've been on one of their boats, what'd you think? Would you recommend it?

I won my Blackbeard's trip and went Feb. 2007. We didn't have the best weather, but could not ask for a better group of people and crew. They were great. The food was outstanding for what they provided and plenty of it. All cooked in a very small galley. The cabins are small, I mean very small. They have 2 cabins that are meant for couples and you might have to share that cabin with another couple. The room was about 7 feet wide ( if you hold out your arms you could touch both sides) and you have only 2x3 feet of floor space. The cabins are mostly bunks. We were lucky and had the cabin to ourselves. They also have bunks in the galley and forward hatch. All you get is your bunk. I would go again and pack much less than I did the first time there really is no room for what you don't need. For what you pay can't beat it!
Enjoy! Here is a link of some pics, some show the Boat.

Picasa Web Albums - Fred - Bahamas Febru...

I've been twice and assuming that the camping at sea thing is for you, I'd highly recommend it. My experience is you don't have any time to yourself really, unless you go lay on your bunk. Between dives and meals (only a few hours a day), you'll spend your time talking to your shipmates.

But if you are demanding, a fussbudget, or generally don't get along with people, do yourself and everyone else a favor and stay home. :)

My wife and I went in 1986 - not much privacy but I still have great memories of the boat, crew, and other divers.

Think "camping at sea"... good food, good crew and would do it again in a heart beat.

I would probably take a couple books or magazines to read (I didn't) along with my iPod (I didn't) this time around. Would catch more Zzzzzzz and drink more too :wink:

All around it was a great trip. One of the few trips in the past several years I can recall my cell phone actually not getting a signal (which is a good thing).

Thanks for the input so far. Sounds like the accomodations are umm..basic (which is fine if you aren't expecting something else) but the atmosphere is great. Anybody else want to add their 2 cents?

You share space for your dive equipment with others under the on deck seats. Your bc's are set up on your tank once getting on board and stay there until you leave. Quarters are cramped, food outstanding, crew is great, briefings great, pack LIGHT,storage is at a minimum. Have fun. Oh, yea, as mentioned, you better like people.

It's my birthday today and I couldn't go diving.. but... I spent some time in the lds and got myself a birthday present, but I have to wait 9 months before I can enjoy it, and then I'll find out for myself what Blackbeard's is like on August 7th. I'm already excited. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom