"Take the class" -- not really, not any more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
If you have spent any significant time here reading threads, you've probably run into somebody answering a question about what kind of advanced training someone should have by saying, "Take Fundies", or "Take Essentials". (I'm guilty of both, myself, but I'm not alone.) People ask questions about the content and the experience, and the answer is always, "Take the class." Which is somewhat frustrating, as someone regards setting up something which requires flying an instructor in, putting them up, spending four or five days and several hundred dollars for something, when they don't even really know what it is.

Well, several years ago, the 5thD-X guys came up with some DVDs of diving skills with some voiceovers and grease-pencil additions, so people could at least see what the in water things one might learn from such a class could be. I think somewhat to the surprise of the people who made them, the DVDs sold like hotcakes (and per my conversations with the maker over the last couple of days, continue to do so). This despite the fact that they almost immediately got ripped to YouTube and Bittorrent, so no one really has to buy them any more.

Well, about a year ago, the guy who made the DVDs started an agency, and began putting up entire on-line classrooms on his website. These consist of a powerpoint presentation with the accompanying lecture, very much as one would get in the classroom part of the course, as well as the videos pertinent to that particular class. One purchases the classroom and gets a year of access to the materials . . . and you DON'T have to be registered for a class to do this!

What's cool is that it gives anybody the chance to look at what's included in the class and see if it appeals to them, at a very minimal investment compared with the tuition. If you don't end up taking the class, you've at least perhaps learned something for a modest fee; if you're inspired to take the class, you already have the materials in hand.

Talking to Andrew tonight, I was surprised to learn that he has sold very few of these online classrooms to people other than registered class students, and I thought immediately that this HAS to be because people don't KNOW this is available. Given the incredible response to the videos alone, it's just inconceivable to me that people wouldn't spend a similar sum for the lecture, powerpoint AND the videos. So I thought I would write something to let people know this was available.

Disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated in any way with UTD, other than having come up with the name and having taken one UTD class. This post is simply because I think there's an excellent educational resource that people don't know about.

Sounds better then the DVD's JJ put to gether,have those and they are just,:censored:

Have a link,so we can see.

Very interesting, I saw this suggestion in one of your other threads as well and tossed it on my "to do" list of things to check out. I love the videos on the UTD site, AG explains things so damn well.

My primary dive buddy and I are signed up for a Fundies course in March here in Alaska, what classroom would be appropriate to grab? Essentials + anything else?

-B

Well, about a year ago, the guy who made the DVDs started an agency, and began putting up entire on-line classrooms on his website.

Want to share a link for those of us beginners who do not have a clue about what you are writing?

I've been through the UTD site and have even watched the sample online classroom, and I still came away with the mistaken impression that these lectures are exclusively for use when you sign up with classes. Along with not knowing they're available, I think some of us also don't know that they can be used outside of a class.

Also, as a big fan and owner of the 5thD-X DVDs, I was excited to learn that UTD recently wrapped up a marathon symposium down in SoCal where they've been busy shooting updated video demonstrations for all of their classes. I'd love to see the Essentials and Intro to Tech videos in HD :)

I'd love to see the Essentials and Intro to Tech videos in HD :)

I've been thinking about swinging by Jeff's workshop to look over his shoulder as he edits them together, but then they'd never get done :D

I own a 5thD-X DVD (it's great) and look forward to the new UTD videos (I'm sure they'll be great, too). While I agree with the OP that these online classrooms are likely a wonderful resource, I think the thread title she chose is rather terrible. You will NOT learn DIR diving by doing online academics. It'd be a real shame if people only signed up for the online classes without getting in the water with good instructors. There is no substitute for in-water training, *especially* when it comes to team diving. As an added resource, however, do consider checking out these online classes.

You will NOT learn DIR diving by doing online academics. It'd be a real shame if people only signed up for the online classes without getting in the water with good instructors. There is no substitute for in-water training, *especially* when it comes to team diving. As an added resource, however, do consider checking out these online classes.

I tend to agree. I thought about looking at the Ratio Deco online classroom some time ago, but what I'd miss would be the interaction - not being able to ask questions would drive me nuts.... I'm doing Tech 1 in February, and have a whole list of questions already.

I think where an online classroom would really be of use is as prep prior to a course, it gives you exposure to the material and helps generate that list of questions that you want to ask. They'd probably be really useful some time after the class, when you can't quite remember some aspects.

You will NOT learn DIR diving by doing online academics. It'd be a real shame if people only signed up for the online classes without getting in the water with good instructors. There is no substitute for in-water training, *especially* when it comes to team diving. As an added resource, however, do consider checking out these online classes.
Lynn is clearly not advocating learning DIR diving through online academics - she's simply pointing out that there's an additional resource available to obtain a general overview of DIR principles, gear configuration and philosophy, or to prepare for an upcoming DIR course (like AndyNZ mentioned).

I'm thrilled about it for that exact reason - the course preparation aspect. Oh, and I'm tired of watching skills videos with people diving in spring water. Makes me jealous.

-B

Back
Top Bottom