Aquacat jun 26-july 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

patrick91

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
anyone else going on this trip, or has anyone else been on this liveaboard and want to post a review/details of there trip?

Here is a comparison I did between Aquacat and Nekton
I have done 6 trips on the Aquacat, and 22 trips on the Nekton Boats. Here is a comparison of the two companies. I was on the Pilot 4 weeks ago, and I was on the Aquacat last week.

Price - Aquacat slightly higher

Itineraries - Aquacat only does the Exumas out of Nassau. One of the best shark feeding dives in the Bahamas. Nekton has many Itineraries, and I have enjoyed all of them more than Aquacat's (except for St. Croix - which I thought really sucked). So Nekton wins out in this catagory if you want variety on repeat trips.

Dive deck - Both are very comfortable, Aquacat is less crowded. Nekton has 2 outside showers, while Aquacat has 2 enclosed showers on the dive deck-which is really nice because you can change out of you suit and get a good shower after your dive.

Nitrox - Nekton is a hit or miss with frequent system outages, and usually only 28% fio2. I have not ever seen Aquacats nitrox system go down, and is usually 32%

Tanks - Aquacat has tanks up to 100 cft, Nekton now only has 80's

Activities - Pretty much just diving with Nekton (which is great for me), Aquacat always has alternative activities during the day, such as beach excursions, fishing, lobstering in season (which my wife enjoys).

Aquacat gives prizes for the photo contest. I won a free dive trip with them, which I took this May.

Crew- Aquacat has hgher crew retention rate, so they opperate in a smooth, professional fashion (high class). Nekton usually has a VERY high turnover rate (newbies on the dive deck usually). They try hard BUT......

Staterooms - Aquacat's are larger (except cabin #11) and much better maintained. Nekton statrooms usually have moldy areas in the bathrooms, wet carpets from leaks in air conditioner, poorly functioning climate control (some of these issues may be delt with on the Nekton Pilot during her upcoming refit).

Food - Nekton has adequate tasty comfort food. Aquacat could compete with a 3 to 3 1/2 star restaurant (VERY GOOD FOOD). Aquacat supplies free soda/wine/beer/rum/vodka. Nekton only supplies crystal light and some fruit juices.

Camera tables - Nekton's camera tables are far superior and roomier than Aquacat's.

Stability - Nekton boats are more stable

Common areas - Aquacat is spotless and well appointed, Nekton is shabby and old

So, both have their strong and weak points. I average 2 trips per year on Nekton, and 1 or 2 trips per year on Aquacat. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom