Dry suit diving - help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonnet Ray

Reaction score
I have just got back from my dry suit refresher. It was great to be back in the water, even if it was just a swimming pool (has it only been 3 months!). However I was totally confused by the instructions given to use my suit as the bouyancy aid. I thought this was old hat now and it was best to use your bcd.

I found it very difficult to get my bouyancy right with my suit, although I was over weighted to start with and that didn't help. I am going next week to try again, as the following week i start my rescue diver and don't feel at all ready after my performance tonight. I want to be happy with my diving so I can concentrate on doing my best during the course.

Would it be better to use my bcd rather than my dry suit? HELP

:(

...use the BCD and not the suit for buoyancy..

You spent good money for a BC :) , that is what it is there for. Granted if you inflate the suit to keep the squeeze off, it may keep you from adding gas to your bc quite so much. Still, you should be relying on your BC for Buoyancy Control. Just my opinion!

We were told to primarily use our suit for bouyancy on our pool sessions, but we were told this was only to get us comfortable with the inflation and auto dump process and what positions were needed to be in for adequate dumping etc

we were told however this was not what to do in practice, the non MTM club drysuits are hard enough to manouver in anyway let alone when they are acting as giant underwater baloons!

:)

good luck with it :)

Actually I much prefer to use my drysuit for bouyancy while diving. I find I can place myself much better in the water and can move around much more easily than when I use my BC and I can hit that neutral bouyancy a lot better and with effort than with my BC.

I have just come back from a weeks diving and can honestly say the only time I used my BC was for bouyancy on the surface.

im a bit more half and half
i use a tad more air than just to eliminate the squeeze, but i still use my bc, it all depends on how comfortable your drysuit is and the ease of movement you have when its inflated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom