Question about Diving the Blue Heron Bridge on Thursday 10/8/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprxh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on diving the Blue Heron Bridge on Thursday 10/8/2009 with my son (he has no classed that day). The tide tables states that high tide is at 11:56AM. Any advice on diving this site. I plan on being in the water at about 11:30 AM. For diving it the first time do you recommend the east or west section?

Last edited:
Personally, I find the East to be very easy. If the current isn't too strong, you could hit the water around 11:00

If it were me diving with one of my kids, I'd start the dive at around 11:30...the currents can be funny more than 1/2 before high tide.
I'd swim out and check out the mooring lines around all tha sailboats nearest the east bridge.
I've seen ocotpus in that area and seahorses holding on some of the mooring lines.
BY the time you finish checking that out, the tide should be perfect to swim over under the east bridge.

If you and your son are not familiar with this type of dive, you may want to totally avoid the current and get in around 11:45. Even that 15 minutes can make a big difference.

11:30 is fine - either way is good - probably I'd pick the east side for your 1st dive there - however, a week ago I saw my 1st seahorse there on the west side.

Its a great spot regardless which way you swim - if you do the west side, you should walk past the lifeguard stand nad down a little way and go in the water there - saves you a swim.

I am planning on diving the Blue Heron Bridge on Thursday 10/8/2009 with my son (he has no classed that day). The tide tables states that high tide is at 11:56AM. Any advice on diving this site. I plan on being in the water at about 11:30 AM. For diving it the first time do you recommend the east or west section?

The site I use says 11:44AM for high tide... I'd hit it at about 11:15... 30 minutes prior to high tide is usually pretty good. I normally hit it 45 minutes prior, but when I'm diving with students... 30 minutes is plenty. If the current feels too strong, lolly gag around the anchored boats...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom