Looking for a dive buddy in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in Maui July 13th -29th. Part of that time time my brother will be there...but for other times...I'd love to find another dive buddy. I am AOW and will be taking the Rescue Diver course with South Pacific Dive School the first few days I am there. I am a very competent 53 y/o female...gender of dive buddy is irrelevant as long as you are a competent diver and have a sense of humour. Let me know if you might be around during that time frame

First of all tell Billy from South Pacific Dive School hi from Al and Jill. I suggest you ask him about upgrading your AOW to include two boat dives. You won't regret them. He uses the boat out of B & B Scuba and they are my favorite, great people. You can do your deep dive on the backwall of Molokini and maybe get a wreck dive in on the same trip. If you you can do a boat dive certification.

As far as getting someone to dive with I found it fairly easy to just hit on a group at Ulua as so many people dive there. Billy will probably do a couple of your dives at that beach too. Airport beach at the west end also has lots of divers. Sometimes you can hit dive shops to look for partners.

I have dove solo there myself several times on areas that I know well. I know that's another can of worms, but I've done hundreds of solo dives.

I'm curious about South Pacific Dive School. Does he do any of the actual diving or instruction or does he pawn it off to B+B? My wife and I booked an outing with him in Dec and we never saw him. It was like using one of the activity desks where you have to do a timeshare presentation only no desk or presentation if that makes sense.
It might be worth your while to see much it is from B+B and just cut out the middle man.

Backtanner once bubbled...
I'm curious about South Pacific Dive School. Does he do any of the actual diving or instruction or does he pawn it off to B+B? My wife and I booked an outing with him in Dec and we never saw him. It was like using one of the activity desks where you have to do a timeshare presentation only no desk or presentation if that makes sense.
It might be worth your while to see much it is from B+B and just cut out the middle man.

South Pacific Dive School is now a one man operation where in the past Billy had other instructors working for him. But back in December I suspect he must have been either sick or out of the area. He is friends with Brad from B & B and does all his boat dives with them.

There would be nothing wrong with going with B&B in my book either. My wife did her OW and AOW with South Pacific and she did her boat dives on B&B's boat. On her wreck dive certification Billy wasn't there so Brad signed her off.

Where you happy with that B&B did for you? I suspect you were.

In planning for my trip in two weeks, I was about to schedule with South Pacific Dive School. Before I committed, I did a search on the outfit to get background info (reputation, etc.) and this is what I found:

William Digbey, the owner, has not been a PADI member since January, 2003, and is not allowed to certify divers, though they still advertise for it on their website.

You can find the official information at:

www.padi.com/english/common/courses/qm/report.asp

and

www.hawaii.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=52000239

Good luck and see ya in Maui!

Interresting Molelisa since my wife just did AOW with SPDS back in May and just received her PADI card.

Wonder what's up with that?

I remember Billy telling me that he's having trouble with PADI because he went and purchased the rights to padihawaii.com and if you click on this http://www.padihawaii.com/ you will see that it leads directly to his website.

I clicked on the better business link you provided and see that in his 8 years of business he has 8 complaints. He isn't a member of the BBB and doesn't have to respond. The reason they gave him a thumbs down is because he didn't respond to customers complaints, to them.

Anyway I can see you've done your homework. So who have you decided on?

I'm staying in Kihei, so I'd like to stay in that area for the class. Which beach does B & B use? Several people have recommended B & B, and I've heard them mentioned in trip reports as well, so I'm leaning toward them. I just don't want to travel up to Lahaina every day.

I've never been to Maui and the wait is excruciating!!! The last few days have been so slow-- the next 12 days are going to
draaaagggggggg:(

Li

I believe they use Ulua. A very easy access type beach, sandy entrance and the second reef is nice. Vis won't be so great this time of the year, but that isn't really a big deal.

The great thing about B&B is quite often, to make it easy on themselves, they will have you do a couple of your dives off the boat instead of off the shore. This is a heck of a deal.

We love those people. Brad and Blesi are fantastic. In fact on their boats they have more divemasters than most. Usually it's no more than 3 divers per leader. I've been on boats where it's way more than that.

Since they know us most of the time my wife and I dove alone. So that meant even fewer divers per leader.

I'm sure you'll love Maui and diving there. We really miss it.

Back
Top Bottom