Need advice re macro lenses...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I have a Canon EOS 10D in an Ikelite housing, with a single DS125 strobe. For wide angle work I use a Tokina 12-24. For closeup work, I have two lenses: Canon 100 mm macro and a Canon 50 mm 1.4 (not a macro lens). I find that I use the 50 mm lens more, especially when diving in the northeast, as the longer focal length macro lens is hard to use in current, surge, and darker waters with relatively poor visibility. I have gotten fairly good results with the 50, but I would like to be able to get closer for more macro of smaller subjects. The 100 mm lens puts more of a water column in the shot, so I use it more on shallow Caribbean reefs, etc...

I understand that many people use the Canon 60mm macro for this, which would be great for me, but unfortunately it is an EF-S lens which will not work on the 10D (or any of the full sensor cameras, apparently). The EF-S series will only work on 20D and above.

SO, should I:

1) upgrade my system to a 20D (new housing and camera body, probably around $1000 used) so that I can use the Canon 60mm macro?

2) try the Canon 50 mm f2.5 "compact macro" and save the money (maybe to buy another strobe!)...?

3) try the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro (which I think will work with my system)?

4) Just stick with what I have?

Thanks to anyone who wants to throw some insight my way...!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom