Best way to search for small stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllDodge

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I dive more in fresh then salt, not that I like it but its real close, 200 yards away. People loose items and then they come ask if I would find it. The bottom can be real soft mud so when its touched I get a cloud. Trying to find a better way to find lost items in soft mud and silt other then blindly feeling around in a cloud.

Ideas, suggestions?

I dive more in fresh then salt, not that I like it but its real close, 200 yards away. People loose items and then they come ask if I would find it. The bottom can be real soft mud so when its touched I get a cloud. Trying to find a better way to find lost items in soft mud and silt other then blindly feeling around in a cloud.

Ideas, suggestions?

If it's made of iron or steel you can find it with a magnet. The magnets in the hard-drive from a computer are particularly strong and are small enough to strap to your hand or even put in a glove. Old written-off hard-drives are a dime a dozen

If it's metallic but not made from iron then your best best is an u/w metal detector. There are several on the market varying in quality from "omg-my-grandmothers-false-teeth-detect-metal-better" all the way up to very good ones.

If it's not made a metal at all, then your best bet might be to use a net or some kind of container to scoop up the sediment and filter it on the surface.

R..

Some folks around here use an underwater metal detector. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

If it's made of iron or steel you can find it with a magnet. The magnets in the hard-drive from a computer are particularly strong and are small enough to strap to your hand or even put in a glove. Old written-off hard-drives are a dime a dozen

If it's metallic but not made from iron then your best best is an u/w metal detector. There are several on the market varying in quality from "omg-my-grandmothers-false-teeth-detect-metal-better" all the way up to very good ones.

If it's not made a metal at all, then your best bet might be to use a net or some kind of container to scoop up the sediment and filter it on the surface.

R..

Thanks, I might have to go get one of those. I've hesitated because the only time I would need it is to find someone’s lost jewelry and family memento. Going down agin this weekend to find a friends gold bracelet his deceased wife gave him a few years ago. I didn't find it the first time so I'm going to figure out some kind of net and check into a under water detector.

I've hesitated because the only time I would need it is to find someone’s lost jewelry and family memento.

Yeah... But in my opinion it's a small price to pay to have an excuse that you "have" to go on another dive. :blinking:

If you think this will be a regular occurance, take a cavern course from a good instructor. Learning to properly regulate your buoyancy and trim, as well as perfecting kicks that do not stir the bottom will make all the difference. I have been recovering items for many years now and can speak with some authority on this. I have recovered diamond rings, false teeth, guns, tools, bodies, cars, boats etc.

A metal detector sounds good but being able to handle it without making things worse can be trying. Even when you get a hit, finding the item is another thing.

There are great grid search tools and patterns that work great when you can maintain your position in the water and can narrow the search area so that is can be encompassed in the grid. These tool can be built for next to nothing. Car (brake) rotors, floating line (1/4" to 3/8") two floats (milk jugs, bumpers, crab trap floats etc can be used.

Take a brake rotor and add line between the two to the length most likely used in a search. It can be shortened for smaller searches by tying it shorter with a knot that can be untied. To each rotor you need a line that is attached and goes to the surface, to a float. When you deploy this set up the rotors need to be pulled tight so that the line is taut at all times. The heavier the rotors the better. 3/4 ton rotors work well. The lines to the surface must also be tied tight as that you can ascent and descend on them without tangling yourself in them. It is best to tighten this from the bottom especially when on a bottom that gets deeper or more shallow as you move. You may have to adjust these from tme to time. Someone on the surface will always be able to monitor you.

When you deploy them you want to be further out from shore and further from end to end than where they think the object is. You want to know the object is inside of this grid. Mark both ends at the surface in case you have to move to another area so you don't re-search the same area.

You will descend on one end and go to the bottom. Once you get there get neutral and maintain that with a feet higher than you body position. If there is current you can pull against the current and the glide back with the current. If not, a frog kick and pull will serve you best. Your search area will depend on how large the object is and visibility. If it is not jewelry or something small like that vis doesn't matter unless you want it to. It it is very small, move slowly looking as you go. Stay on one side holding the line with one hand. When you get the the end, move the weight (rotor) as far as you can see or feel. Could be a foot or could be five feet depending on the object and vis. Re-tighten the search line and switch hands moving back in the opposite direction. It the object is large you can slide your free hand back and forth as you go. If it is small then you have to look and it is more tedious.

You will double cover each area as you go. If there is a problem you can move to the end and surface in a safe manner. When you find the object you either carry it to the end (if it is small) or tie the search line into it and surface for a rope or lift bag. Tying it in means you can go directly back to it.

If the object is heavy, such as a boat motor, you can lash it to the bottom of the boat, off of the bow, and slowly drive it to the shallows and set it back down in a few feet of water before removing it safely. This is much better on your back.

Like I said, I have recovered many items and this is the best search pattern I have found, especially when there is alot of junk on the bottom. I only have to lift and move the line over and around the object tha is in the way.

Hope this helps. Mark

Thanks SPD 135 I'll give some of it a try. I keep buying more toys and never make any money. Seems to be the my code to help first and then figue how much it cost me to help later. So it goes.

Thanks SPD 135 I'll give some of it a try. I keep buying more toys and never make any money. Seems to be the my code to help first and then figue how much it cost me to help later. So it goes.

diverecoveries@charter.net This is my email. If you have any questions or run into issues feel free to email me. When you find something, for someone, (that is sentimental to them) it is a great feeling to see them smile. Sometimes the money is good sometimes it is just the right thing to do.

On the other hand, don't let greedy people guilt you into doing something for nothing. Learn the balance between a fair job at a fair price, helping and not being lowballed by someone who wants something for nothing. Also know when to say no, or seek good advice before you say yes or no. Most of all be safe and enjoy what you do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom