http://www.diveheart.org/

Samoa Tsunami Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicada

Reaction score
Hello to all ScubaBoard users

I have been an avid diver for many years and have dived in many locations throughout the world including one particular location very close to my heart that has recently been devastated by a tsunami. As you may or may not know Samoa has recently been hit by a very large tsunami that has left the entire south east coast of Upolu (the worst affected area of Samoa) completely devastated levelling entire villages, small family run fale operations, large resorts and dive operations. I have spent many extended holidays there enjoying the food and culture and of course diving that the beautiful tropical waters provide. During which time I grew very close with many of the families who have been effected by this tragedy. The region is now in rebuilding phase and is requesting donations in any form possible. Taufua beach fales a family run beach resort that operated out of Lalomanu (the worst effected stretch of coast in that region) also had a dive company, all gear, the boat, computer, air compressor well everything essential to running a dive business including the building they were housed in is gone. If they were able to resurrect the business it would expedite the recovery process (at least financially) not just for the owners but entire villages as Samoan custom demands money be distributed. An opportunity exists for the dive community to be instrumental in the recovery process. So please manufacturers and individuals alike please contact me if you can afford to donate anything that would help rebuild this business and others in the region. Please contact me if you are able to help in anyway and you will be advised how to proceed from there. If you cannot provide any direct assistance any advice would be greatly appreciated also.

Yours sincerely
Daniel Tsicalas

Last edited:
Welcome to the board Daniel. Sorry to hear about the devastation of your coast. Members of Scubaboard can be very generous people, but expect them to want to get to know a bit more about you. Jump into the forums and make yourself known, it will be a benefit to your cause.

Hello to all ScubaBoard users

I have been an avid diver for many years and have dived in many locations throughout the world including one particular location very close to my heart that has recently been devastated by a tsunami. As you may or may not know Samoa has recently been hit by a very large tsunami that has left the entire south east coast of Upolu (the worst affected area of Samoa) completely devastated levelling entire villages, small family run fale operations, large resorts and dive operations. I have spent many extended holidays there enjoying the food and culture and of course diving that the beautiful tropical waters provide. During which time I grew very close with many of the families who have been effected by this tragedy. The region is now in rebuilding phase and is requesting donations in any form possible. Taufua beach fales a family run beach resort that operated out of Lalomanu (the worst effected stretch of coast in that region) also had a dive company, all gear, the boat, computer, air compressor well everything essential to running a dive business including the building they were housed in is gone. If they were able to resurrect the business it would expedite the recovery process (at least financially) not just for the owners but entire villages as Samoan custom demands money be distributed. An opportunity exists for the dive community to be instrumental in the recovery process. So please manufacturers and individuals alike please contact me if you can afford to donate anything that would help rebuild this business and others in the region. Please contact me if you are able to help in anyway and you will be advised how to proceed from there. If you cannot provide any direct assistance any advice would be greatly appreciated also.

Yours sincerely
Daniel Tsicalas

Hello Daniel

I live in Australia and we are certainly aware of the terrible devastation in the South Pacific region as well as North of us in Indonesia. I have visited Pago Pago myself and am sad to hear how badly that community has been affected. I will speak to my local dive shops and people, and see what we can donate to help out.

PS: Mod's, would this be better in the Good Causes, Petitions and Solicitations section so it doesn't get "lost" in this thread?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom