How to carry heavy Pressure/Depth console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

satwar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an old style Mares Mission 2 console. Nice and easy to read but I'd like to get some suggestions on how to carry without dangling, yet still easy to read.

You can put it through your left shoulder harness and chest strap, you can use zip ties to attach a bolt snap and affix it to your right chest D-ring or you can take the compass/computer out and put them in a wrist mount boot, throw the console away and just have the spg clipped off.

Those are 3 suggestions anyway.

The most obvious answer is to get wrist gauges, but you could tie a bolt snap to the end of the hose and clip the console to your left hip D-ring.

How about a bungee?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a dive computer on my wrist but don't want to trust my life on a battery, hence backup analog gauges. I didn't realize the old Mares console 2 was so heavy, but it sure is nice to read. I have a nice light regulator setup with the Mares Carbon 2nd and octo, which I wanted for travelling, but i guess i won't need as much lead now. I'll strap it to a shoulder strap D-ring.

P.S. Haven't been in the water yet but the Mares Carbon reg and hoses are real beauties. The reg is so light and the hoses are so light and flexible it's hard to believe it's not a toy.

I have my 3 gauge console attached by a snap/bungie set up. I think I paid $5 for it at Leisure Pro. You could make your own easily though. It tucks very easily under my BC pocket and stays there until I need it. I shortened my hoses since my profile pic was taken and it works out even better.

For our consoles, I picked up nylon straps and clasps at the local outdoor shop, and made QR set-ups to hold the consoles closer to our BC's. The straps are maybe 6" - 8" total length, and allow just enough slack that we can position the guages to read, but still keep things from dangling.

I have more trouble with the octo reg popping out of its holder and dangling than I've had with the guages coming loose.

Until I took it out of the boot (and carry my extra depth gauge in my dry suit pocket) I used a retractor that kept it close to my chest, then when I needed to see it I just pulled it out, and it went back automatically. I used to use plastic doohickies that had a a clip on one end, and a clip for the hose on the other. That worked pretty well also. (that cost like $3.00)

Without getting lost in the whole GUE, HOG,DIR thing:

If you are just carrying an spg on the end of a hose, I agree..clip it off with a a bolt snap to your hip. It is not necessary to refer to it all that often.

Other gauges, I prefer wrist as I see them during the dive,

You are talking console here. So the best thing is using quick links, small piece of surgical tube and bolt snap, cross your chest and clip it off to the right shoulder. You can glance down and see 1,2 or 3 gauges. Depending on the console, if you need to see the backside, just a little twist is needed. If you need to navigate with the compass, unclip....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom