Roatan (CoCo View) in October!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My wife and I are traveling from the midwest to Roatan at the end of September and will be there the first week in October. Does anyone have any recomendations for places to eat, things to do, dive sites not to miss etc?

We just got Nitrox certified and are very excited to start using it at Co Co view. How is the dive operator at Co Co View? Are they pretty safe? How about the shore diving?

Thank you in advance for you reply.

Will

Trigger...

CCV is on an island of it own so if you want to go to the main island you'll have to make arrangements for a crew boat to take you over. Lauray can arrange it and a rental jeep to get around in. There are several activities scheduled during the week that will take you over for shopping, eating out and tours, just check the schedule board and see Lauray.

You won't need to worry about places to eat at CCV. The food there is good and although it's not gourmet, it's plentiful. During the week you'll have steak and lobster, a BBQ on Turtle Cay, and lots of local fare...You'll enjoy it all.

The dive operation is excellent, as is the dock crew. Robert will handle your tanks for you. He'll also make sure you analyze your Nitrox tanks and sign the book for every tank. The divemasters are all very good and of course safety for everyone is a high priority...not just "pretty safe".

On your first visit you'll go through an orientation of the resort that will explain, among other things, navigating the reefs and walls in front of the resort. And you'll have to do an orientation dive before you are turned loose on your own. As new divers, don't worry about diving without a guide on the shore dives...there are trails well marked from the beach to both walls and the wreck. The dive boats will spoil you, they are so well set-up and don't forget to try the moon hatch! They cover the dive sites pretty well but our favorite boat sites are Calvin's Crack, Menagerie, Mary's Place and Gold Chain Reef. For shore dives you just can't beat CCV Wall and Newman's Wall. We spend alot of time on those as well as the wreck of the Prince Albert.

The shore diving is excellent. Not only is it the easiest you'll ever do, it's the most interesting. You have 2 vertical walls, CCV and Newman's, just fin strokes away from the Prince Albert and the DC-3 wreckage. Our last trip this past March, we turned down most of the boat dives in preference for the shore diving and didn't regret it in the least!

At the end of September, you're getting into rainy season. It won't effect the diving except to lower the viz just a bit (from the run-off) but if getting rained on bothers you, take an umbrella or poncho. I was there in October '99 and it rained on us 20 hrs a day all week. The rain didn't bother us but the damp sheets and towels did...nothing dries in 100% humidity!

Have a great trip. My next one is in March '02

Dee,

Thanks for all of your information! We are leaving next Friday.

Our friends and relatives think we are crazy for going out of the country at this time - but I don't want those "suckers" to get the best of us.

Triggertravel,
When you get back from your trip, please let us know how everything was....Especially the diving! I'm going to Roatan Dec. 1 for a week of diving, so I'll be really interested in your report. Have fun and Be Safe.

~lildiver

...especially off season like you're doing. We were in Roatan in April and I highly recommend Bite On The Beach between West Bay and West End, if you get the chance to go over to the main island for dinner. Have a great trip!
Terry

You know those Nitrox tanks are really heavy, and you are on vacation so you should be relaxed. If I were you I would get me a ticket to go with you and I will lug all your gear around for you. Then while you are diving I will follow you around snapping cool pictures of you in the water with the new Sea & Sea MX 10 you should also get me to go along with you.

I will be the best darn Dive Caddy you have ever seen!

Triggertravel....have you been to CCV's website lately? Since we were there last March, they have added a gym and fitness center, ourdoor basketball court, hot tub, etc. I'm anxious to see and hear about it.

http://www.cocoviewresort.com/

Have a great time and be sure to make a trip report when you get home!

Hi Triggertravel

You will have a great time. My wife and I went with our dive club in 1996. The had some hurricane damage since then, but I understand that had been rebuilt. Good food, no big animals but lots of macro possibilities, good people, good accomidations (we were in a bungalo over the water).

Two boat trips per day, two dives per boat trip. Lots of wall dives, watch your depth! Enjoy.

Ken

Thank you for all of your feedback! We are getting excited for this week's trip to Co Co View in Honduras. We land on Saturday!

Ken: Thanks for getting us pumped about the diving!

Dee: Thank you for the link to Co Co's website and all the information you gave us!!!

Syruss: Thanks for the caddy offer. We are excited to try our Bonica Snapper since we just purchased a strobe. Hopefully we'll get rid of some of the backscatter!

Terry & LilDiver: We'll be sure to update all of you on our trip when we get back.

Thanks again! Your fellow dive buddies Tina and Will!

Tina & Will

Wishing you lots of fun in the sun, calm seas and under water viz of 100+. Be safe and look forward to hearing what you have to say about Roatan.

~lildiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom