Tell me about "cabin 11" ! AquaCat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins-up

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
Thinking of booking a cruise on The Aquacat. Seems like the best value for the money. There seem to be cheaper options, but for what you get, the Cat seems to be worth it. I am not sure if I am into the Blackbeard thing. I was thinking about Nekton, but for the time I can go, the Cat seems like a better Dive destination.
Anyway, Quick question for those who have been on the Cat, more importantly, who stayed in the "cabin 11" bargain cabin. Is it worth the savings of $500. or should I just get a normal cabin. I will be traveling solo, and will only use the cabin for sleeping. Does anyone have any pictures they could share of 11? Can anyone tell me about it......pros and cons? The only thing that would bother me is the skylight, if there is no shade on it for sleeping. I dont mind bunks.
Thanks,
Fins-up

im scheduled for my first aqua cat trip this summer but i have heard cabin 11 is smaller then other cabins but it does have a shade for the skylight.

It had bunk bed in two twins and no side "windows", just the overhead skylight.

The skylight is pretty much right over the top bunk. There is a curtain/shade made of a fairly dark material, which keeps anyone from peering into your cabin from the observation deck, and blocks most extraneous light. It is in the forward part of the ship, with no other windows. We have done 6 trips on the Aquacat (including 2 this year) and I have never heard of anyone saying they had problems with this room, other than it is a bit smaller, but it also costs less. Although I have never stayed in #11, I have been inside it, and If I was traveling alone, I would consider booking #11. I would also book it if it were the only cabin available for a trip for me and my wife. When are you thinking of booking? We are going next May, and possibly next Feb.

Going solo, I would definitely book in #11. The AquaCat was such an awesome vacation, you won't be disappointed.

If they boat isn't full, they will allow you to switch rooms.

Thanks for the replies.
I figured I would be ok in cabin 11, as long as they didnt put anyone else in the room. It looks tighter than the other cabins looking at the floorplan/deckplan.There is no guarantee that it will be my own private cabin, so it would be tight if they put someone in with me. It would be great if I had it to myself. I could sleep on the bottom bunk, and store my stuff in the top bunk for easy access. I guess it doesnt matter in the end. If I could save the $500. by staying in cabin 11, I fugure that would cover my airfare, and the gratuity for the crew.
Doug I am thinking of going in Jan,or Feb. Either Jan 9-16, or Feb 20-27. I have the 11 cabin reserved for the Feb 20-27 week, just have to call back this week to do the paperwork, and deposit. Are you interested in going that week? Aquacat is running a $400. off special for select weeks through Feb 2010. I called and asked them if the cabin 11 is included in the special, and it is !!!! I reserved the week in cabin 11 for $1395. :D. Pretty sweet deal !!! The regular cabins are $1895 for the select weeks. I was also thinking of going Jan 9-16, because I cant wait to go!!!! Let me know if you have a week in mind. Anyone else want to go? Cant beat the deal, $400. off !!! Just go to the aquacats website, under "news", click on "special". It will list the dates with the $400. off deal.
Oh yea........still debating on Nitrox. I am not sure if I will be pushing my NDL without it. I just dont know what kind of depths are "normal" for the Exumas trip. I have pushed the limits of NDL on double dips on the Speigel Grove using air. Is it worth the $150. to get the nitrox ??? Most importantly, I dont want to limit someone elses dive if I dont get it. What do you think?
Thanks........
Fins-up

Thanks for the replies.
I figured I would be ok in cabin 11, as long as they didnt put anyone else in the room. It looks tighter than the other cabins looking at the floorplan/deckplan.There is no guarantee that it will be my own private cabin, so it would be tight if they put someone in with me. It would be great if I had it to myself. I could sleep on the bottom bunk, and store my stuff in the top bunk for easy access. I guess it doesnt matter in the end. If I could save the $500. by staying in cabin 11, I fugure that would cover my airfare, and the gratuity for the crew.
Doug I am thinking of going in Jan,or Feb. Either Jan 9-16, or Feb 20-27. I have the 11 cabin reserved for the Feb 20-27 week, just have to call back this week to do the paperwork, and deposit. Are you interested in going that week? Aquacat is running a $400. off special for select weeks through Feb 2010. I called and asked them if the cabin 11 is included in the special, and it is !!!! I reserved the week in cabin 11 for $1395. :D. Pretty sweet deal !!! The regular cabins are $1895 for the select weeks. I was also thinking of going Jan 9-16, because I cant wait to go!!!! Let me know if you have a week in mind. Anyone else want to go? Cant beat the deal, $400. off !!! Just go to the aquacats website, under "news", click on "special". It will list the dates with the $400. off deal.
Oh yea........still debating on Nitrox. I am not sure if I will be pushing my NDL without it. I just dont know what kind of depths are "normal" for the Exumas trip. I have pushed the limits of NDL on double dips on the Speigel Grove using air. Is it worth the $150. to get the nitrox ??? Most importantly, I dont want to limit someone elses dive if I dont get it. What do you think?
Thanks........
Fins-up

That is the same week I am thinking about going in Feb. I usually use nitrox. Of course on the wall dives my MOD is around 110 feet (they pump 32-33% consistently), but I seldom go deeper than that on air anyway. Most normal dives the pin is at 40 to 60 feet. Some are shallower, some are deeper. You prob. won't have a problem finding a buddy diving air, or you can dive with the staff if you wish, should you decide not to purchase nitrox. As far as pushing your NDL, if you use their big 100 cft tanks, doing 4 or 5 dives per day, your NDL"S could very well be the rate limiting factor for the length of your dives. mI have never seen anyone come solo of my trips on the Aquacat (altough I am sure it must happen from time to time), so I bet you have a pretty good chance of getting the cabin to yourself.

Last edited:
We will be on Aquacat in February - it will be our 2nd aquacat trip. The cabin #11 is def. tight - bunk beds, it's a squeeze but not so bad if you are alone. Nitrox was definitely worth it for us.. We loved aquacat and can't wait to go - it was an AMAZING trip! feel free to pm me with questions.
-M

MUZICGIRL - what week are you booked to go in February? There's a group of us on the Feb. 13-20th trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom