Stop gloves sticking to velcro??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burna

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought some new gloves last weekend, 5mm Northern Diver ones and they're great except they stick to velcro like you wouldn't believe.

They couldn't be more sticky if they were actually made out of velcro. Velcro gloves...there's a joke there somewhere!!

It is extremely difficult to get anything in or out of the thigh pockets on my drysuit.

I've been trying to think how I can make my gloves less sticky even to the point of thinking I might coat them in silicone or something to fill in the little loops.

Anyone have any ideas??

My first thought would be to wear a thin latex glove over them, but I hardly think that's an ideal solution.

Since you're diving dry, have you considered using dry gloves?

get some reef gloves to wear over them.

My first thought would be to wear a thin latex glove over them, but I hardly think that's an ideal solution.

Since you're diving dry, have you considered using dry gloves?

I don't think I can really justify expense of having dry gloves fitted to my drysuit if that's what you mean, the water isn't cold enough. I did consider the latex glove, but, as you say, it's far from an ideal solution.

get some reef gloves to wear over them.

Meh. If I'm going to buy some oversized reef gloves to go over the top, I might as well jus go and buy another pair of gloves that don't stick to velcro. I was hoping to avoid doing that.

I was hoping just to find an inexpensive "dodge it up good" solution.

What part of the glove is it sticking to? Fingertips, palm, top?

Everywhere. Fingers, palm, back. After one dive the fingertips are a bit fuzzy already. The gloves are like wetsuit material. If you look closely at the glove, you can see lots of little loops. They must be just the right size for the little velcro hooks to hook into. I wonder if carefully waving a flame over the surface would shrink the little loops??

Burna,
A flame over the velcro will work ! I had the same problem with drysuit pockets until I lightly singed the velcro over the pockets.

BTW If you have the same ND gloves as me you'll find over time that the finger tips tend to wear a little bit. I assume you are using the Superstretch gloves?

I don't think I can really justify expense of having dry gloves fitted to my drysuit if that's what you mean, the water isn't cold enough. I did consider the latex glove, but, as you say, it's far from an ideal solution.

+1 from me. Doesn't get below 9C in Melbourne so drygloves aren't really justified imho...

Yep, superstrech ones. My buddy was wearing the same, although hers are well worn, and they hardly stuck at all.

There's your solution, dive more!!! :wink: Or stop putting things in your pockets :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom