Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norcaldiver

Reaction score
I've contacted my local aquarium and finally have been invited to try out (skills test, diving knowledge test, etc.) to be one of the Vol. divers.

Has anyone done this, had a friend do this.....friend of a friend....

It sounds really exciting, but I was looking for the real world take on this. Do you actually get to learn things about different fishes behavior, do you get to help out more than just cleaning the glass?

I don't know anyone whos done that, but let us know how it turns out. I always thought that that would be a cool Vol. job.

I think it depends on the AQ case by case. I did some AQ diving here in my hometown about 3 or 4 years ago when the AQ first opened. I got bored very quickly with waving children, and cleaning the glass. The shop I worked for at the time wasn't ready to go with the volunteer program and used it's DM's and instructors until the program was up and running. Maybe it's different now, but it got to be boring for me after about my 3rd time in each tank. At the time, the AQ I dived in didn't have any kind of educational program including the divers so it could very well be different now.

Our LDS had a bunch of regulars who dove the NJ State Aquarium in Camden. There was also a group of LDS operators who provided gear for the Aquarium divers. I know two of the guys who did it regularly (weekly). Sometimes you can see them on the Web cam. They loved doing it.

A coworker of mine feeds the fishes at the Zoo here in Columbia, SC. She loves it! She loves all the fishes including the sharks in the tank. The only fish she ever has problems with are the puffers and the parrots. Apparently they can get bitey.

On top of that, for some reason, she can even log these as dives. Personally it aint a dive if your on a hookah and standing on the bottom over weighted, but to each their own.

I volunteered at the Long Beach Aquarium for about two years as a diver. It was very cool at first, but scrubbing coral got a little boring after the first year or so. Worked on a nite crew, so it wasn't a lot of feeding, but I came in on Saturdays to fill in and get feeding experience.

Depends on the aquarium, but I learned a s** load about fish and fish behavior (and it's a Pacific oriented aquarium, so it's out local fish). We had certain classes that were required, and others that were suggested.

All in all, a very rewarding experience.

Chris

Chris, that's exactly what I wanted to hear because that's where I'll be (Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach) if they accept me.

Thanks for the feedback.

I filled out the volunteer application at the Baltimore aquarium in order to dive with the sharks. I will start on September.
I discovered later that I have to work with them a full day each week, plus two nights and a day in the weekend. Also, you must supply your own gear. I suggest getting all the details before you get involved.
Check out this link http://www.aqua.org/volunteer.html

I was a diver at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport Oregon every other weekend for 18 months. I got a little burned out on the 2 hour drive each way so I now fill in whenever they need someone and I help train people for the program. I learned a lot about fish, pumps, feeding and all aspects of the aquarium. It was a lot of fun most of the time but some of the duties are BORING! I did a lot of work in the shark exhibit which sounds fun but it was mostly scrubbing the floor with scotch brite pads while the tender hovered above me with a stick to keep the animals away. I really enjoyed talking the the quests about diving. It was funny, whenever I was in one of the "tanks" the tubes would fill with people. When I got out the tubes would empty out. People were more interested in the divers than the fish. I used to have the staff ask me when I was going to be in the water so they could watch.

I say go for it. It's a lot of work but you will become a master at dive skills! The environment is pretty fragile so you really need good skills to do the work without breaking/harming things.

Scott

A cyberfriend volunteers at the Baltimore Aquarium. I'm sure he said he only dives once every two weeks. But he loves it.

I dived this past weekend at Gilboa with a feller who volunteers at the Cinci Aquarium (not sure of the proper name). He seems to love it as well.

I can put you in touch with Geo at Baltimore if you want to contact him personally. My email is on the bio thingy or use this jfrancis@orc.ca

JF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom