Ft Lauderdale Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I find that I will be in FT Myer's for the first week of Nov.

1. I understand the closest diving option is going to be Ft. Lauderdale. I'm looking for a dive op that I can rent full gear and will hook me up with a buddy or DM for a 2 tank boat dive. I've got about 30 dives on my log and was recently in Playa Del Carmen for 9 dives which included drift, wreck and cenote dives. I don't need my hand held, but I do feel more secure diving close to a DM, esp since my husband, my only buddy to date, won't be with me.

2. What are the water conditions/temps? What kind of wetsuit?

Any assistance would be awesome,

Beth

Lots of options Beth. I think most will rent Reg/BC, but be sure to ask about the rest.
I've used American Dream dive charters quite a bit. Good op, they will definitely pair you up with a buddy, and usually their DM goes with the divers. It's a large boat, with usually 12-18 divers.
Here's their website: ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

Another option, with a smaller boat and more personalized service, is scubakevdm's dive op in Boynton Beach, (Underwater Explorers) which is a 2.5 hr drive from Ft. Myers. His boat holds 6 divers, and he always dives with his customers. He's a great DM, and we always have a good time on his boat. In fact, he's up for South Florida Divemaster of the Year. Here's his website:
www.diveboyntonbeach.com

Where did you dive in Playa Del Carmen? I got my AOW at The Reef resort, when I was down there in 2008.

PS- Last November I went diving in Jupiter, which is a little north of Ft. Lauderdale, and the bottom temps were in the high 70's, which for me equals a shorty 3mm wetsuit... But I see others using thicker wetsuits, just depends on your preference.

IMO while the diving in Ft. Lauderdale is good, the diving at West Palm or Boynton beach is better. The profiles are deeper as you go North.

I may also not be a poor idea to go to the Keys, but that is a bit more of a hike from the Ft. Myers area vs. the other spots I listed. I would suggest none of these locations are somewhere one wants to do in one day from Ft. Myers.

The drive to Ft. Lauderdale is maybe 2hr 20 mins. The drive to West Palm is about 2hr 30min, and Boynton is maybe 5~10 minutes farther, so basically a wash time-wise to any of these locations. IMO Boynton has the best diving of the three, but W. Palm does have a LOT of turtles. You could dive these in one day, but it would be a long day with 5 hours of driving for a couple dives. I would suggest spending the night where ever you decide to go, but up to you!

I will also plug Kevins boat Underwater Explorers, and I have dove on that boat MANY times. It's also VERY comfortable as he only takes six divers, and the boat could easily do twelve. I've also been on American Dream a few times, and it is a very nice and large boat, and Capt. Todd is a great guy, and takes meticulous care of that boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom