palm beach shores/west palm beach recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twindiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Heading to palm beach shores for a five day vacation. Was wondering if someone can give me a recommendation for a dive shop. Also how strong are the currents....and even more importantly will I have a good chance of seeing turtle or even better dolphins?? What is the visability like??will a 5 mm wetsuit keep me warm enough in mid november?? thanks

Dolphins maby on the cruise to the spot but not very likely (I tend to see the most of them in the keys), There is a 6 pack or 2 i think in Boynton that are like 50 for 2 tank dives, Jupiter Dive center Is like 50 for 2 tank, Seaturtles here is one of the more likely places to see them. Force-e also subs out some good charters. Narcosis i see out almost every time i go diving and heard some good things. Kevin Metz at underseas is suposed to be really good too. I got my Certs through scuba club, the are a little more expensive than some of the other shops but for sight seeing, and photography i think they are really good since they are more conservationists that love diving and making sure diving will be good for a while. Vis runs roughly 30 or better and water temp if its cold 60 up to about 82

I've got nothing but good things to say about Scuba Club, and they're just around the corner from PB Shores. I got my OW cert from them and they are absolutely top-notch. Pricing is $65 for a 2-tank dive + $10/tank which is pretty much the norm around here. If you want turtles, come up north to Jupiter. Every time I've dived off Jupiter, I've seen turtles. Juno reef especially. I've not dived with them but I have heard good things about Jupiter Dive Center. My favorite in Jupiter, though is Emerald Dive Charters. Reservations through Scuba Works dive shop ($60 2-tank + tank rental). The operator, Randy Jordan is a real character and a hoot to dive with. If you're Nitrox certified and have (or rent) a dive computer, the 3-tank dive ($90) is a great trip. First dive is somewhere deep, like Hole in the Wall (115 ft, 5mm wetsuit definitely! 60 deg isocline in July, brr.) and then a couple shallower 80 ft dives to the local reefs. Plus you get a pretty darn tasty lunch to boot.

As far as the currents are concerned, all diving around here is drift diving. Currents are strong, but it's not a problem because you don't fight them, you go with them and the boat follows and comes to pick you up. The ultimate lazy man's dive trip. I've done both anchored and drift dives and I prefer drift diving as you don't have to swim back to the boat.

Florida diving is absolutely fantastic.

Thanks again for the advice. For you floridians...i'm jealous you can dive the bridge for free. Thanks for the info on the bridge Jim was wondering what it was all about. Will be staying at the marriott. Fairly new diver...have done most of my diving on an out island of abaco (GTC)...beautiful place. Only did one drift dive there, it was a little odd at first but yes once i got use to it...lol...it is a lazy man dive. Will check out these dive shops didn't know jupiter was about the same distance as wpb . Love my dophins and turtles. My dive buddy got to jump in with snorkle and a dolpin came right up to her...i'm green with envy...maybe someday for me. Thanks again.

What building are you going to request at the Marriott Ocean Pointe ?
I like to stay in the Dolphin building with a view to the north. That way I can see where my kids are in the pool.
Others like the Kingfish building, because its next to the intercostal and you can watch the boats going in and out.

Ocean Quest is about a 5 minute drive rom the resort.
I will look at my log Monday and let you know the other 2 dive boats I have gone out with .

If you like dolphins, let Sandy know at Ocean Quest. Two years ago we were coming back in when she spotted a pod of dolphins. The dolphins liked to play in the wake of the boat. She did a few cicrles, and had us get in the water with the Dolphins. Way cool trip.

Jim

I would recommend Force-E as a dive shop for tanks, etc.

A great dive charter nearby at the Riviera Beach Marina is Pura Vida.

Be aware that Scuba Club does only one tank dives. Most others in the area are usually two tanks.

Drift diving is simple....just listen to the DM for any specific instructions, tips, etc. Otherwise just jump in, let the current carry you, and go up when you're done. I'd avise carrying a sausage just in case you are separated from the flag. Inflate it and wait for the dive op to come get you. I've never had a instance where the captain didn't know where we were.

In West Palm I would say you'd have great likelihood of seeing turtles. I've never seen a dolphin in the water--sometimes you get lucky and they follow the boat wake while the boat is moving.

Mid-November water temps will likely range from 75-80 degrees. 5 mil would be sufficient for the average person--I'm usually very cold, and I'd guess 5 mil would be fine for me. It's a pretty good time of year to dive---not too hot, water's still nice from the summer, and little likelihood of summer thunderstorms and threats of hurricanes are extremely low.

Enjoy and have fun!

I’m not a local, but I did spend a week on Singer Island in March… Like Jim said, dive the Blue Heron Bridge!! I can also recommend Ocean Quest, Sandy will take good care of you….

You didn't mention when your trip is, but you will need to dive the bridge at high tide. The link below will take you to the 2009 NOAA Tide Prediction tables; you want to choose “Port of Palm Beach”

Tidal Station Locations and Ranges

As for a 5mil, I dove the reefs & wrecks off of Ft Lauderdale last November. We did 4 dives in one day with water temps from 77-79°; I wore a 3mil full suit with no hood or gloves and was plenty warm. In March, temps were 71-73° at the BHB and I was toasty in my 3mil John & LS-shorty but of course YMMV....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom