Overweight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBedoobedoo

Registered
Reaction score
On my certification dive, i was told to wear 24 pounds of weight. for the most part i thought it was ok but it may have been a little bit heavy. I am now buying a sequest balance BC (which is back inflate). does this BC provide less lift than the taditional rental BC? if so should i take a few pounds off, and how should i balance my weights in the front and back? thanks!:confused:

I have no idea if you are overweight.

The Balance provides 36lb's of lift, which should be comparable to the jacket you've been wearing.

I used to stick 6lbs in the trim pockets, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of my total weight.

But the ideal distribution is going to depend on how your built and what other gear your using.

More info would be needed to come close to answering your question.

1. What are your dimensions?
2. What thickness wetsuit (.5, 1, 3, 5, 7mm)?
3. Gloves, hood.

I am 6'1", 220 lbs and with a 7mm wetsuit, hood, 5mm gloves, BC, tank, lights (3), I need 26 lbs of lead. Start removing equipment, start removing lead.

It sounds like you are a bit confused on the difference between lift and bouyancy.

A BC provides a certain amount of lift. In an ideal world if everyone were perfectly weighted, this lift should only need to be enough to lift the weight of the air in your tank and compensate for the compression of a wetsuit at depth. For example, a steel 80 cft tank holds approximately 6 lbs of air. If you are properly weighted, you should be only 6 lbs heavy at the begining of a dive and neutral at the end of the dive. Thus, *in theory*, you'd only need 6 lbs of weight. However, since a wetsuit has it's own inherent bouyancy and that changes with depth, the BC must also compensate for the bouyancy of the wetsuit itself....this is not as much of an issue with a drysuit, since the drysuit is essentially self-compensating. A typical 7mm wetsuit can be 20 lbs positively bouyant at the surface, but at 100 ft it may only be equivalent to the bouyancy of a 3mm wetsuit due to compression, thus now is only 6-8 pounds bouyant. The BC is used to adjust for this difference.

Just because you wear 24 lbs of weight doesn't mean you necessarily need 24 lbs of lift. Keep in mind that that 24 lbs is being used to counteract the inherent bouyancy of you, your suit, your BC, and other pieces of gear. Thus, in an ideal world, you would still only need enough weight to counteract suit compression and the shift in bouyancy of your tank.

Weight integration messes things up a bit. If you are putting all your weight into the BC, you have to make sure that you can still float the rig when it has been removed. Many small dive boats have you remove your gear in the water, hand it up to them, and then get on board in just your fins and exposure suit. If you only had 24 lbs of lift and 24 lbs of weight attached to the BC, you wouldn't be able to easily do that unless you handed up the weight pockets one at a time (which is a good idea also).

Ok...now that I've thoroughly confused everything....

36 lbs is a "good" amount of lift for a recreational BC in cold water (cold water means thicker insulation, which means more suit compression to compensate for). One of the most popular BP/Wing systems is the Halcyon Pioneer 36, which provides 36 lbs of lift.

As for "do you need 24 lbs," we cannot gauge that here unless you provide more information. If, as a brand new diver, you felt you were a "little" heavy...you were likely VERY heavy. We need to know what type of suit you are wearing, what type of tanks you had, and your height, weight, and build.

I am 6' tall, 150 lbs...lanky and I use about 18 lbs in a 7mm full suit with an Al80.

I've never been too concerned with "how much" lift there is in each BC. I really just doesn't matter for the average diver. If you weight yourself right, you should float at eye level with an empty BC-no lift and a normal breaths ammount of air in your lungs. To get under the surface, all you should have to do is breath out. Keep in mind that this is with a full alum tank - if it's empty at the end of the dive, you're going to be more bouyant.

So 1st I'd test out to see where that right ammount of weight is with a full tank.

I look at it this way. If I'm properly weighted, then even the smallest BC (say 12lbs of lift) will bring me up and keep me on the surface.
You could look at it like this also: 12 lbs of lift is like dropping 12 lbs off your weight belt, in your case almost half your weight. If you were to dump that 12 lbs when you're under the surface, you're going to pop like a cork to the surface, and there won't be anything you can do to stop it.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
You could look at it like this also: 12 lbs of lift is like dropping 12 lbs off your weight belt, in your case almost half your weight. If you were to dump that 12 lbs when you're under the surface, you're going to pop like a cork to the surface, and there won't be anything you can do to stop it.

That also depends on your exposure protection. If your wearing a 7mm wetsuit that is compressed at depth 12lbs may not make much of a difference till you start ascending and the wetsuit starts to uncompress. Then you will pop to the surface like a cork which is a bad thing :D

thanks for all of the info! it'l take a little while to process it all :doctor: in the meantime, i'm 5'9, 150 lb., 7mm wetsuit, 80ci tank, 5mm gloves, and a bibbed hood.

aluminum tank.......by teh way, wats cft stand for? i assumed 80 cubic inch tank was ci:dance:

Back
Top Bottom