spearfishing tournament tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rustybatey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About to enter a scuba spearfishing tourney and I'm looking for tips from people who have done it before

Depends.....

Some are big fish tournaments like SPO and others like SBO are aggregate tournaments where you really need to fill the categories to place high. That's a huge difference in strategy. Throw in the differences between 1 day and 2 day, some even have boundary lines or even team tournaments like WCC and each one can have a strategy. It's not always who shoots the biggest fish. Which tournament is it?

Its a one day tournament with aggragate total of 3 fish per 2 man team. We will obviously be looking for big fish. My plan is to go to the near shore (20 miles offshore) artificial reefs and bounce dive. the depths are around 60-70ft.

I believe that Amberjack are excluded and the max per fish is 35lbs

The other option is to hit the snapper banks (about 40 miles offshore at depths around 100ft where there are typically bigger fish but obviously shorter bottom times

Usually they have fish species designated. What are the fish categories? This will also aid in the plan. I am guessing when you say that 35lb is max, it is max you can get points with, not what you can shoot.......

Just found out that we wont get format until Friday night captain's meeting. Just general tips would be great on things like going to deep water or bounce diving. I do know that power heads are not allowed.

I like smaller dive sites that I can see quickly so I don't spend much time in the water. I usually carry 10 lbs extra weight to get me down quick. I will stop my decent around 20 ft. from the bottom so I can try to see the site and where the fish are. I like diving pyramids and man made concrete structures, small wrecks are ok too. I like private sites. Be careful bounce diving. I have been slightly bent doing it and most of the guys I dive with have been bent too trying this. A lot of times you can "out run" your computer down and up but I don't advise this. I have used bounce diving in 200 feet of water but don't dive outside your skill level. Deeper doesn't always mean bigger fish. One of the biggest snapper I ever shot was in 55 fsw and weighed around 30 lbs, of course it wasn't a tournament, just my luck. I always use a 119 or a 130 with air, a h-valve and a 40ft pony with air and I hang a pony with 100% O2@20ft for deco if needed. I hope I don't step on any toes with this but use a good gun. I have seen people trying to shoot tournament winning fish with JBL's with 2 bands. Get a good gun. Guns like that have no range and don't penetrate. You will just injure fish and piss yourself off. Nothing against using those guns but would you use a .22 to kill a moose? Let me know if you have anymore questions.

JBL does make some larger guns with plenty of power to kill anything in savannah, i dive savannah all the time. yes there are better guns than JBL but for a lot more $ i paid 200 for a 63 in 3 band

Its a one day tournament with aggragate total of 3 fish per 2 man team.

For aggregate tournaments, if I'm underwater and a legal fish comes into range, I shoot it no matter what size it is. I always make sure to complete the category if possible. I've seen many of my teammates, pass up a respectable fish in hopes of finding one bigger later. In my history, that bigger fish never gets put on the boat.

I think you'll be surprised in the weigh in line how many teams only weigh one or 2 fish. In the SBO, a small 4lb mangrove, bumped me ahead of the next 11 other divers in points. If I remember the 2008 SBO had over 50 divers out of 250, not weigh anything at all. Fill the categories!

Best of luck to you in the tournament and I hope the weather holds out for you guys!

Usually they have fish species designated. What are the fish categories? This will also aid in the plan. I am guessing when you say that 35lb is max, it is max you can get points with, not what you can shoot.......

I have sent you a few private messages did you see them?

If not please send me a private message with your email so that I can contact you.

The secret to winning will be to beat Dan & Walt out to the ledges.
Big gags are holding on all of the 100' ledges with only a few Red Snapper but the sharks have been pretty bad. Especially if the charter boats are fishing there.
Diving at the ledges will also limit your bottom time & increase your surface interval. You can dive more sites if you stay fairly shallow.
Also, if you carry a stage with higher O2 gas for deco,watch your O2 clock!
Walt & Dan will probably hit the L or J or maybe the CCA.
Anchor ledge will hold some fish if you get there first.
The artificial reefs are holding some grouper, but you will have to go inside the wrecks to get them.
The Tanks at the L are not dove often & are close enough together to move from one to the other. Each one is usually good for a Gag.
The tugs are holding some big Red Snapper, but it takes some patience to get the big ones. When you first swim over the hold, you will not see any thing to speak of. Settle down on the deck with just your gun over the hold & you will see them coming out from under the floor boards & from around the engine.
The shallow wrecks like the Savannah & the KC are also holding good fish, but the vis is not as good.
The coal ship will also hold some big fish.
One thing to remember when diving the artificial reefs is to try to work together with your buddy. The wrecks are riddled with holes that the fish move in & out of. Have one diver stationed over a hole while the other diver swims around the wreck.
Also, look behind you every now & then. Your fins tend to stir up a lot of sand & there just might be a grouper or cobia following you around.

Flood Walt & Dan with shark stories!
Pay Ralph a small fee to feed shark stories to Dan & Walt.

Also, seas are supposed to be pretty nasty this weekend, so if you are live boating, tow a marker. If you are diving on a down line or anchor line, make sure you familiarize yourself with landmarks around the anchor line before setting off to hunt. Drifting around 30 miles offshore is not a viable option. Attach a yellow bag to the anchor chain if the vis is not optimal. Carry a lift bag or surface marker buoy & a reel just in case.

I think Dan has a cold so encourage him to shake hands with Walt as much as possible!
DO NOT shake hands with Walt or Dan!

Seriously though, remember that it is all in fun. Be safe & take Dramamine before going to bed & one before you get on the boat.
Carry Fruit Loops for others to snack on. It adds color if they should get sick.
Remember, in case of sharks, you do not have to out swim the shark! You just have to out swim your buddy!
See you at the weigh in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom