Diving after a broken ankle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boroff

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago ( walking down a hill between dive one and two at Dutch Springs , PA ) , had surgery 1 week later , the Dr put in a plate and 5 screws , I had a walking boot , the boot was removed last week and I am now wearing a ankle brace and must wear sneakers , I am due to go to St Kitts in a week for a week of scuba , the Dr said it was OK if I could go up and down the ladder BUT the dive master of our trip is concerned about DCI due to the broken bone attracting nitrogen and extra deco time required

Has anyone had this problem or can comment on if I should or should NOT dive , I am going on the trip anyway

Richard

Dive till it hurts.

Do that and if DAN oks you bring a note from your doctor. Also ask the boat crew to let you put your gear on in the water and lift it out for you. They won't mind.

I had a broken ankle, 4 years ago, the only concern at that time was to finish rehabilitation because due the lack of activity, my achilles tendon got weak, it hurt a little when kicking.

My advice to you will be that if the conditions of the dive and the dive master allows it, equip and un equip in the water, it will take away the weight from your ankle.

Regarding the DCI issue you can post this thread in the Marine Science and Physiology forum of this site.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom