PDA

View Full Version : How to keep water out of your nose?

paintballjla
October 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
ok well i started doing my pool dives today the only problem i had was when you have to breath for a minute with out your mask on. what are good techniques for keeping water out of you nose, i have tryed inhaling through mouth and exhaling through my nose that make me want to breath in my nose after exhaling. the problem i am having is that a small amount of water comes in the tip of my nose and it makes me want to blow it out witch gets more in after i blow it out. any suggestions.

scuba70
October 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I have found that breathing through your mouth and keeping your chin tucked down will help. If you continue to have difficulty check with your instructor. Keep trying and you'll get it.

gcbryan
October 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Breath in and out through the regulator and just keep a little positive pressure in your nose (breath out from your nose just enough to keep the water level from entering your nose).

Lee Taylor
October 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I have had water in my windpipe at depth. Trust me when I say, water in your nose is a teeny tiny problem in comparison. I am happy to only have water in my nose.

Positive pressure in your nose or holding your nose are the only things I know that work.

thanksforallthefish
October 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I find that if i close my eyes i do not want to breathe through my nose, no idea why, it just works for me.

CamG
October 12th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Greetings paintballjla and welcome to SB! Your issue is a common one and will improve with more practice. The biggest hurdle is to relax and focus on breathing through your regulator. It will take a little while to "train your brain" that as long as your reg is in the air is not a problem. I to had this issue and it does improve with practice at home. I wore my mask in the shower, watching TV, etc. just to train myself to breath through my mouth not my nose. One of the most helpful practice skills yet I have learned is to use no mask at all and breath through your regulator in a pool while supervised of coarse in a controlled environment. If you want to practice on your own use your snorkel. This gets your brain used to breathing underwater while water is held out of your nose by a little air pressure. You might exhale through your nose at times but it will get better and soon you will be rockin! Please believe me when I say this I was the worst nose breather in history! No joke it took a entire pool session to get me through the mask skills. If it had not been for a determined instructor and dm I would have given up. It cost me extra time but the reward was like nothing I have ever experienced. Stick to your guns and commit to conquering this hurdle it will be a mole hill very soon! Keep us posted on your progress.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Steve50
October 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
kitchen sink full of warm water - snorkel only (no mask) - face in water - breathe

boulderjohn
October 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
kitchen sink full of warm water - snorkel only (no mask) - face in water - breathe

This is good advice, and it might possibly point to a reason you might be having trouble. Most of the time that this is done in class, the students are on their knees, sitting totally erect. This is not a normal diving position. Many students are disconcerted by the bubbles streaming up their face (and nose) from their regulators.

In my class, students are floating in a forward lean position, much more like a normal scuba position. This is pretty much the position in which you find yourself in Steve's suggestion. The bubbles from the regulator stream past the cheeks instead of the nose.

paintballjla
October 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
This is good advice, and it might possibly point to a reason you might be having trouble. Most of the time that this is done in class, the students are on their knees, sitting totally erect. This is not a normal diving position. Many students are disconcerted by the bubbles streaming up their face (and nose) from their regulators.

In my class, students are floating in a forward lean position, much more like a normal scuba position. This is pretty much the position in which you find yourself in Steve's suggestion. The bubbles from the regulator stream past the cheeks instead of the nose.

i think that is my main problem because the first thing i did was lay on the bottom in 3 foot water with no mask and had no problem. i first had a problem because while on my knees the bubbles were forcefully going up my nose then my instructor had me tilt my head side ways and i felt like the water was going in my nose. thanks for all the tips i realize this is a small problem i just wanted to know if any one had some tricks.

boulderjohn
October 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
i think that is my main problem because the first thing i did was lay on the bottom in 3 foot water with no mask and had no problem. i first had a problem because while on my knees the bubbles were forcefully going up my nose then my instructor had me tilt my head side ways and i felt like the water was going in my nose. thanks for all the tips i realize this is a small problem i just wanted to know if any one had some tricks.

Next time you try it, ask if you can lean forward with enough air in your BCD so that you are semi-floating, with just your feet and your knees (lightly) touching the floor.

fnfalman
October 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Breath through the nose just once. Guarantee you won't do it again!!!

dhuskins
October 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
The first responder had a good point that I think is worth emphasizing: tuck your chin to your chest.

Assuming you are kneeling in the swimming pool while you are practicing this skill, tilt your head down. By doing so, the water has to climb up your nose. If you are facing forward, or worse yet, looking up, then the water simply has to pour itself down your nose.

Think of your nostrils as the ends of straws and your nose as the straw. If you hold a finger on one end of a straw and submerge the open end, water will not get in. On the other hand, if you hold a finger over one end of a straw and lay the straw in the water sideways, the straw will fill up.

paintballjla
October 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
thanks for all the responses ill try those

christo651
October 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I can only say what worked for me. I had the same problem and my solution was to inhale through my mouth and exhale slowly through my nose. For me exhaling through the reg allowed water to come in my nose.

boulderjohn
October 15th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I can only say what worked for me. I had the same problem and my solution was to inhale through my mouth and exhale slowly through my nose. For me exhaling through the reg allowed water to come in my nose.

Although that may have worked for you, it is not what I would recommend. It is pretty important in scuba to learn the discipline of doing all breathing through the regulator except when equalizing or clearing the mask.

paintballjla
October 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
ok well i finished all my classes tonight no i just have the last pool i have more time than i thought. because the rv park that we were using kicked us out, because we left marks that the instructor came back the next day to clean up but they told us that we couldn't rent again. now we have to find another indoor pool because below 32 dosent work swimming out side that dosen't cost 100 bucks a hour. so im going to go to my gyms training pool with my snorkel and mask and practice a little. but thanks again for all the advice.

GrandpaScuba
October 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
ok well i started doing my pool dives today the only problem i had was when you have to breath for a minute with out your mask on. what are good techniques for keeping water out of you nose, i have tryed inhaling through mouth and exhaling through my nose that make me want to breath in my nose after exhaling. the problem i am having is that a small amount of water comes in the tip of my nose and it makes me want to blow it out witch gets more in after i blow it out. any suggestions.
Breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose.

christo651
October 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Although that may have worked for you, it is not what I would recommend. It is pretty important in scuba to learn the discipline of doing all breathing through the regulator except when equalizing or clearing the mask.

Why? and just to clarify, this is without a mask on.

W8less
October 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
While trying to avoid getting water up your nose is a noble venture, the bottom line is just get used to it. It's part of the game. You are completely submerged, your mask is going to leak and you are going to get water up your nose. Just snort it out and clear mask if necessary. It's like going for a run and getting sweat in your eyes. I guess you could wear a turban bath towel, but just wiping your eye and keep on running works pretty well.

There is a squeeze bottle/saline therapy called "Nelli Med" for cleaning out you sinus. With this system you can actually pour the solution through one nostril and have it run out the other. This will get you used to having water in your nose and reduce the quantity and size of the "nudibugger" s floating around in your mask.

paintballjla
October 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
ok thanks for all the help guys i just finished my pool dive no i got the open water. i did the no goggle swim today and had no problems except at the end because i left my eyes open for and it stared to burn like the last 3 feet so i freaked out a little and sucked a little water in by nose but was able to get it out with no problem.

Chris Hipp
October 23rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
This is kind of hard to explain, but something that works for me is to breath from the back of my mouth. Yes, I know you are always breathing from the back of your mouth, but I mean where you can hear the air moving in your throat. That is the best I can explain it. Also, pretend you are breathing through a straw.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1