Neoprene straps and masks--discoloration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger45

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen a few threads on neoprene discoloring or clouding the silicone skirts on masks. Regarding the neoprene replacement straps or strap covers (Slap Strap, etc)--has anyone had problems with discoloration due to these? Should I take it off for storage?

Since no one has commented, I'm going to hazard that this hasn't been a big problem?

Hi, first time I saw your post. I have had a neoprene strap on my mask for the past five years without any discoloration. I have never taken the strap off of my mask. I rinse my mask after every dive and also wash the strap with soapy water (attached to the mask) periodically.

I have several masks that I use and the silicon straps/skirts do get a bit discolored. what I find works on silicon is toothpaste. I apply a small amount of paste and rub while gently rinsing with water. Makes them look and feel like new again.

I've used neoprene straps for years and discoloration hasn't been a problem for me. I do keep my mask in a plastic box away from other rubber stuff. (I'm not sure if discoloration is only caused by direct contact, or just by being near rubber, like something off-gassing.)

Thanks for the update! Will leave this in place then.

Back
Top Bottom