Enriched Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNoob

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone!

I just signed up for the Enriched Air course at my LDS. I just had a surgical procedure done so I figured I could continue my diving education while laying in bed over the next few weeks. So unfortunately my diving season is over! So to my questions:

It looks easy enough, but what are the major concerns when diving Nitrox? Depth?

I'm not a pro at reading tables (love my computer)...should I brush up on my open water tables or dive into my Nitrox tables? Assuming I only dive with enriched air in the future my old tables would be obsolete, correct? My goal is to use the computer between my ears more and rely less on my battery operated one.

Nitrox seems like a logical path for most divers, are there any of your guys/girls that just don't see the need for using it? And why?

Thanks everyone....I'm probably asking silly questions but I have a good excuse. Pain medication....good pain medication!

Rich

Take the course. Yes there are tables involved but if you mastered your OW, you will be able to handle these too. Depth is a concern when diving with Nitrox, you will learn about that in the course too. There are techniques to use air tables with nitrox and you learn this in the class too. The PADI course I took included the Nitrox tables.

Depth, exposure time, and the mix. Those are the factors you learn to manage and track (and learn why to track them) in a basic nitrox course.

I'm not a pro at reading tables (love my computer)...should I brush up on my open water tables or dive into my Nitrox tables? Assuming I only dive with enriched air in the future my old tables would be obsolete, correct?

Nitrox and air tables are read the same way. Also, you can conduct nitrox dives with standard air tables by calculating the equivalent air depth ("EAD") of your nitrox mix and using the EAD as your planned depth on the air table. So no, the air tables aren't completely obsolete.

Depth is a concern with every dive. :)

Nitrox is a great gas to dive. I highly recommend taking the time to learn the associated formulas as well. Too many people just plug their 02% into their computer and go dive, but that leaves a big knowledge gap. The more you know, the better prepared you are.

Dive safe!

I love nitrox for repetitive dives. It really pays for itself when you do a livaboard or something like that. It will really increase your bottom time and let you spend more time in the water.

I just did mine recently and yes you will need to be able to use the tables, if you did it once it usually comes back to you pretty quick..

I just did mine recently and yes you will need to be able to use the tables, if you did it once it usually comes back to you pretty quick..

That is unless your Instructor never taught you how to do the tables. Funny how this issue continues to come full circle.:D

Thanks everyone, I downloaded the Table Tutor software a couple of weeks ago. That's a neat little program, nice review. My instructor spent a decent amount of time on tables when I got certified so I'm not too worried about it. Sounds like everyone is for Enriched Air!? I expected that, more dive time is always a good thing. Ok, I'm off to read the book!

Thanks again!

Rich

With the class you will learn how to calculate the best Nitrox mix, you will learn how to calculate the Max Operating Depth (MOD) for each gas, you will learn about the two types of Oxygen Toxicity, symptoms and treatments and you will learn (and hopefully get hands on experience) how to analyze your gas.

The most important things to take away from the class - There is only one person who you should EVER trust to analyze your mixture - YOU!

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom