Diving The Keys early November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. I am heading out to Florida November 4- 11th 2009 and want to check out as much of the Keys as possible. Do lots of diving with Scuba Diver Girls in California, now I am heading to the Southeast to learn more about what is wonderful over there.

Is there shore diving (husband dislikes boats)?

Which charters have the best deals, crew, dive sites the go to, least crowding, most crowding, etc...

I am a seasoned diver (instructor) and really love adventure, I find reefs and lots of critters more exciting.

I do dive every single day in the Kelp of San Diego :D

What can all you fun divers tell me, plus all my info I collect on my trip is going back to Scuba Diver Girls and Lady Diver Magazine.

Look in the Florida Conch Diver thread (Travel) for all the info you seek. Also, no shore diving in the Keys to speak of.

** Moved to the Conch Divers Forum. :) **

You can shore dive south lauderdale(lauderdale by the sea), and a few other spots here and there. Im contemplating Shore diving Breakers reef soon off Palmbeach, But asfar as i know the keys has None really but tons of boat diving. Key Largo has a decent selection, and there are a ton of popular spots like molassis and places in pennekamp park, the Vanderbilt in Key West, the Busch off marathon/ bigpine area is kinda neat, Looe key in Big Pine area, Begining of Nov you might want about a 3mm full-5mm because the water may be a bit chilly

If you like critter diving, I personally have never been disappointed diving the Benwood. Molassas and French Reef are oter great dives.

Hi. I am heading out to Florida November 4- 11th 2009 and want to check out as much of the Keys as possible. Do lots of diving with Scuba Diver Girls in California, now I am heading to the Southeast to learn more about what is wonderful over there.

Is there shore diving (husband dislikes boats)?

Which charters have the best deals, crew, dive sites the go to, least crowding, most crowding, etc...

I am a seasoned diver (instructor) and really love adventure, I find reefs and lots of critters more exciting.

I do dive every single day in the Kelp of San Diego :D

What can all you fun divers tell me, plus all my info I collect on my trip is going back to Scuba Diver Girls and Lady Diver Magazine.

Hey ScubaDiverGirlTeppy,

Glad you're considering the Florida Keys and the diving here. I'm sorry to say your hubby won't be too happy as there's not any shore diving out to any reefs here in the Keys. The reefs start about 3 1/2 miles out so getting to them by boat is the only option.

If you like reefs and fish life then you'll love the Keys. We've got both. The Keys are broken up into three areas. The Upper / Middle / Lower Keys. Each area has it's signature diving spots, so it'll be up to you to listen to the comments and choose the area you'd like to dive.

As for charters there are plenty of them here and divers on this board have their favorites for one reason or the other. I'm sure the list will come. As a seasoned diver, I'm sure you know the questions to ask when you contact these shops.

No matter who you dive with the goal is to have a great time and I hope you find your little bit of paradise in the Keys as I have. I hope this helps a little and if I can answer anymore questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Good Diving,

Begining of Nov you might want about a 3mm full-5mm because the water may be a bit chilly

It won't be anywhere near as cold as it is in California! :rofl3: And it's been unusually hot lately, so the local water is still very warm. The water won't cool off that quickly in 3 weeks, so plan for mid 80s water temps.

It won't be anywhere near as cold as it is in California! :rofl3: And it's been unusually hot lately, so the local water is still very warm. The water won't cool off that quickly in 3 weeks, so plan for mid 80s water temps.

one word- thermocline i hit one a little over a month ago and was @like 70 deg @40ft. That gets a bit chilly in boardshorts and rash guard dive protection

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom