DM work leading to IDC...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I heard through the grapevine that it was possible to work as a dive master for free for three or so months (possibly on a livaboard) and then you can study your IDC for free? I'm already a qualified PADI DM.

I don't know if this is some myth, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything to do with this and if there were such offers available in Australia...?

I'm looking to travel out to Oz late next year.

Thanks!

G'day Scuba_Bubby,

My name is Carl Fallon and I am the Careers Development Manager here at Abyss Scuba Diving in Sydney. Funny you ask this question, because I actually get asked this exact question about 3 times a day, either by email or over the phone.

I have worked in the diving industry here in Australia for close to 10 years now and I actually haven't heared of any PADI Instructor Development Centre in Australia that gives away or swaps their Instructor Development Courses in return for Divemaster work. A professional and efficient dive team is so critical to the success of any dive buisness. I consider it even more important than the actual training facility itself. I couldn't imagine chancing who gets to run your diving activities by giving the possition to anyone who wants to work for you for free.

Have a read through the remainder of this post Scuba_Bubby. It will probably make you think a little differently to how to approach your PADI Instructor Training in Australia.

NEWS FLASH FOR ALL NEW PADI INSTRUCTOR IDC CANDIDATES LOOKING AT TRAINING IN AUSTRALIA!

PADI has just released a groovy NEW and totally revised Instructor Development Course (IDC) for 2010. With the revision of the program, they have introduced "PADI IDC online" which is an amazing online e-learning that teaches you the topics that don't need to be delivered within a traditioinal classroom. You get to watch videos, listen to and read theory presentations, and even get cool pop-ups that deliver you additional information... By the end of every section the online program will see if you have understood the information and help correct any gaps in your understanding before allowing you to move on. Very cool. Very cool.

I honestly can't think of a better way to get a kick start on your IDC topics that you can easily learn yourself online, at home any where in the world, prior to the start of your program. The best thing though, is that it allows you to concentrate on the more tricky topics when you are in the traditional classroom room working directly with your PADI Course Directors and IDC Staff Instructors, which maximising the effectiveness of your learning time with these highly experienced PADI Dive Professionals.

So you are probably thinking to yourself, what does all this have to do with your origional question... Well here comes the punch line for you...

With all the IDC course changes, the newly released PADI training materials and the groovy new mode of partial online delivery have helped reduced the overall cost of your PADI Instructor Development Training by more than AUD$1200 bucks for any bookings made from now on, for the 2010 season onwards!

The total cost to our Instructor caniddates including everything needed to go from a certified Divemaster to PADI Instructor is now going to be well under the AUD$3000 mark! (Finalised pricings will be released in the next few weeks) That even includes all of the PADI fees, all required materials, PADI Instructor examination costs and your First Aid Instructor Training which is now mandatory for all Instructor Candidates. Check out what is included:

Inclusions Previous Cost
  • PADI IDC $1895
  • PADI IDC Crew Pack $787
  • PADI IDC Application Fee $196.91
  • PADI Instructor Examination Fee $695
  • Emergency First Response (EFR) Instructor Course $495
    • Mandatory to become a new PADI Instructors
  • EFR Instructors Manual Previously Included in EFRI Course Fee
Previous Total before course revision AUD $4068.91

If you got a job prior to coming to Australia and work for little over 3.5 - 4 weeks full time, you should be able to pay easily for your program outwrite and not have to work for free like a slave for 3 months to pay for it. You will only need to earn 413.289 GBP each week for 4 weeks pay for your entire Instructor program in full!:acclaim:

From a career development perspective, your work experience time is better spent working as a PADI Instructor gaining teaching experience and getting paid while you are at it! Doesn't that sound better than working for free for 3 - 4 times as long?

If you need any help during or after your PADI IDC program finding placement just talk to Emma. She is our career advisor for all our training professional candidates, and she will line something up for you so that when you become certified as a PADI Instructor, you will have somewhere to start teaching and apply your new skills.

It is a different angle to look at how to do things, but definetely better for you and your diving career in the long run. The hardest thing as an Instructor is getting that initial experience teaching courses with real students. So I would definetely not put it off any longer than required, by working for an extended period of time prior to your program.

It will definitely give you head start on the other Instructors that where thinking the same as you.

in my view you get what you pay for. Free is worth just that. I want service and attention and pay for the service. I just completed the IDC and IE and paid lots but i got very well trained and got lots of personal attention. Just a thought.

NEWS FLASH FOR ALL NEW PADI INSTRUCTOR IDC CANDIDATES LOOKING AT TRAINING IN AUSTRALIA!

PADI has just released a groovy NEW and totally revised Instructor Development Course (IDC) for 2010. With the revision of the program, they have introduced "PADI IDC online" which is an amazing online e-learning that teaches you the topics that don't need to be delivered within a traditioinal classroom. You get to watch videos, listen to and read theory presentations, and even get cool pop-ups that deliver you additional information... By the end of every section the online program will see if you have understood the information and help correct any gaps in your understanding before allowing you to move on. Very cool. Very cool.

Hmm...

"PADI IDC Online" seems like about as cool an idea as grey type on a grey background.

:eyebrow: or :shakehead: - not sure which

Hi RJP,

Thanks for voicing your concerns, but if you understood what they deliver using the online media, you surely wouldnt have this view.

The online portion of the NEW PADI IDC Program is a fantastic innovation. It simply delivers some of the base information prior to the candidates starting their Instructor Development Course. I have included the topics here so you can understand what i am talking about.

The following topics are incorporated in the PADI IDC Online eLearning program:
  1. Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
  2. General Standards & Procedures
  3. Risk Management
  4. Marketing Diving
  5. Start Diving
  6. Teaching PADI Specialty Courses
  7. Business of Diving
  8. Keep Diving
  9. How to Teach the RDP (optional for PADI Members)
It doesnt replace the face to face interaction with the Course Directors and IDC Staff Instructors but mearly suppliments it, to maximise the time spent with them.

Perfect sense if you ask me...:D

This way we can spend more time teaching the candidates how to teach, giving them more practice with presentations, and giving them more hands on experience prior to going to the Instructor Exam and before they actually begin teaching PADI courses with real students.

I hope this helps... Cheers RJP:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom