Cayman AquaSub Scooter Info???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWKL

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently acquired a Cayman AquaSub Scooter. Does anyone know where I can find any information about this Scooter online, or how much they retailed for originally? I'm having a hard time finding anything online. It's unused but looks like this is possibly an older model? Any info or links would be much appreciated.

Borrowed this from a recent craigslist ad. If it's the one I'm thinking of, they're out of business.
Somebody in SoFl was a distributor of them, if I can remember who, I'll post it here. When I was looking, they were more than the SeaDoo toys but less than an Apollo. So I'd guess under $800. I wasn't interested since they're depth rated to 100' - IIRC it was actually less than that.
The Cayman AquaSub underwater scooter utilizes a 58-lb thrust 24v motor to pull an average size person about 2-3 mph when snorkeling or diving. It has a magnetic switch that you touch with the included magnetic glove to move and let go to glide to a stop. The rugged polyethylene body is impact proof and UV resistant. Includes battery pack and charger.

Cayman Aqua Sub
Aqua Sub -- The Aqua Sub is an underwater propulsion vehicle that opens a whole new world. Hold the handles, turn it on, and you’re flying under water. Swim like a dolphin or become an underwater explorer. Navigate around underwater structure or experience the freedom of underwater flight. In oceans, lakes, pools or wherever you want to increase your underwater excitement! Snorkeling – Skim around near the surface faster than you can swim and then dive to take a closer look. Powerful - The Aqua Sub’s 58 pound thrust 24-volt motor provides the most power and longest run time. Up to 90 minutes of run time under typical snorkeling use. Rugged Polyethylene Body - Impact proof, UV resistant so it won’t fade. Bright High-visibility Color. Magnetic Switch – Hold the switch and you’re flying through the water, then release it, to glide to an effortless stop. If you let go, the Aqua Sub stops running. Battery Condition Indicator – The “Fuel Gauge" for your Aqua Sub.

Submersible propulsion units are hardly new (James Bond had one in 1965’s Thunderball), but Cayman’s Aqua Sub pulls ahead of the pack by mounting its prop forward for added safety and maneuverability. The patent-pending drive is designed to tow you through turns more smoothly than a unit with a prop mounted at the rear. Think of it as power steering rather than manual. Because the prop is not directly in your face, visibility and safety are both improved.

The Aqua Sub performs equally well on or below the surface of the water, which means swimmers, snorkelers and divers can all enjoy the ride. It scoots along at a 3-mph pace, and runs for approximately 90 minutes per charge. It comes with an overnight battery charger and a battery-power level indicator tells you when to head back to the boat. A kill switch is located near the handle. At 60 pounds, the Aqua Sub can be easily transported aboard almost any boat.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Snorkeling – Skim around near the surface faster than you can swim and then dive to take a closer look.
Swimming – Add excitement to your day at the beach, pool, lake or ocean. AquaSub adds an entirely new level of mobility and adventure.
Scuba – Follow along with fish and other sea creatures with almost no effort. Open a new world of exploration and make air tanks last much longer.

AQUASUB FEATURES
Fast - . Approximately 2 - 3.5 mph for an average size person during snorkeling use.
Powerful - The Aqua Sub’s 58 pound thrust 24-volt motor and two compact batteries provide the most power and longest run time. Over 90 minutes of run time under typical snorkeling use.
Rugged Polyethylene Body - Impact proof, UV resistant so it won't fade.
Bright High-visibility Color - Increases visibility on top and under the water.
Magnetic Safety Switch – Hold the magnetic glove to the switch and you're flying through the water, then let go, to glide to an effortless stop. If you let go, the AquaSub stops running.
Battery Condition Indicator – The Fuel Gauge for your AquaSub. A Simple 2-color LED indicates in real-time the status of your batteries. Knowing when the batteries are half depleted, tells you when to start heading back.
Unique Pulling Design – Placement of the motor and prop is safely in front and underneath, away from you. With this placement, the prop receives an unobstructed flow of water to maximize thrust and maneuverability.
Rechargeable Batteries - After use, you can easily plug in a battery charger. Batteries are sealed, maintenance-free, and rechargeable for years of normal use.
Battery Charger (included) – Charges overnight so it is ready to go the next day. Charger is completely automatic and will not overcharge the batteries. Simply plug the charger into the external charge port, and plug the charger in any 110-volt outlet. An indicator light will inform you when the batteries are fully charged.

SPECIFICATIONS
Dimensions (l x w x h) 31 x 22 x 13 inches
Speeds (1) Speeds (1)
Static Thrust 58 pounds
Battery Power 2-12 volt lead acid sealed batteries wired in series for 24
Run Time 90 Continual minutes +
Charge Time 8-12 Hrs depending on battery condition
Weight 60 pounds
Depth Tested to 100 ft
Buoyancy Slightly negative in saltwater (neutral)
Circuit Protection Auto-resetting Circuit Breaker
Volt Power Total 52 amp hr

I have the older one called a Tyger ray. It retailed probably 10 years ago as $440 . Current model on ebay is $599.95.

The manufacturer seemed to have gone out of business when I needed replacement parts and I could no longer find them. It appears the item has been resurected as Aquasub and now is 24 volt with 2 batteries in series. I have seen this model recently on ebay. I have also seen another site that says "the manufacturer has gone out of business" again.

I don't know the truth but if you need spare parts, I have been working on keeping mine working and have a source for replacement batteries, reed switches, and now a similar waterproof screw connector. The part not replaceable that is a problem is the snap fasteners along the bottom. The inner steel pins rust or corrode out and pull out of place so no seal.

I found 2 used ones in inoperable condition and bought them and am in process of fixing one and have other to cannibalize for spare parts.

any questions for me, you can PM me.

I got one of these and was not impressed, I've been on a project for about a year now of collecting a small fleet of scooters and currently have two Torpedo 3500's, a Mako, Apollo AV-1 and AV-2, a Farallon Mk II and a Stealth Maxx. I had nothing but problems with the Aquasub and ended up throwing in out, kept tripping the thermal cut off if you ran it for more than five minutes straight, relay fried and I replaced, then fried again. My main complaint wasn't even the reliability, it was just such a pain to handle out of the watter and was so awkward to use in the watter it just wasn't worth it. I see some of these still on Ebay, I'd pass at any price.

I have the older one called a Tyger ray. It retailed probably 10 years ago as $440 . Current model on ebay is $599.95.

The manufacturer seemed to have gone out of business when I needed replacement parts and I could no longer find them. It appears the item has been resurected as Aquasub and now is 24 volt with 2 batteries in series. I have seen this model recently on ebay. I have also seen another site that says "the manufacturer has gone out of business" again.

I don't know the truth but if you need spare parts, I have been working on keeping mine working and have a source for replacement batteries, reed switches, and now a similar waterproof screw connector. The part not replaceable that is a problem is the snap fasteners along the bottom. The inner steel pins rust or corrode out and pull out of place so no seal.

I found 2 used ones in inoperable condition and bought them and am in process of fixing one and have other to cannibalize for spare parts.

any questions for me, you can PM me.

I would love the source on the reed switches if you still have one, PLEASE!!!!

These things are not really useful. You can swim faster than these things at any time. Seriously they were so crappy that they ended up sitting (2 of them) unused for most of the summer I was teaching DPV classes. Note: I did not order these things and most student opted to borrow my Mako/Gavin scooters instead.

Truly not worth the time and energy to fix these things. Also, in water they float funny with the prop hanging down as I remember. We attached leashes to them cave style - but that didn't help much either. The magnet in the glove business was only OK because the glove magnet would eventually work it's way through glove material.

X

Truly not worth the time and energy to fix these things. Seriously they were so crappy....

X[/QUOTE

No one mentioned yet that all of the little scooters are really noisy. Obnoxiously so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom