A big tank could bend you????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdman

Registered
Reaction score
Think about it this way, if other people you dive with only use half a tank to your empty tank then you have absorbed double the nitrogen that they have if you go to big tank you will continue to use a lot of air just to push it around.
Just because other people can dive longer does not mean you have to keep up.
I was an air hog and did not progress to twins until my scr was acceptable due to nitrogen absorbtion.
Even now my wife uses half the air I do, she is physically close to my size so you would think she would breathe about the same.
Females make better divers specifically for the fact they dont use as much air as males.

You're breathing in twice as much air, granted, and absorbing twice as much nitrogen, granted...

But aren't you exhaling twice as much air, thus off-gassing twice as much nitrogen???

Nope. The amount of air you breathe has nothing to do with your nitrogen uptake. It is about depth and time. Air consumption is not a factor.

Exactly, it's about how fast your body absorbs it, not how fast you suck air down. Whether you go thru 1500psi or 4500psi in 60 minuts at 40 ft....you have the same ammount of Nitrogen absorbtion, same NDL, same surface interval...etc.

Was in my misguided way trying to reply to Tips to conserve air consumption for air hogs.
Thanks for setting me straight.
I prefer to be informed than misinformed.

Walter once bubbled...
Nope. The amount of air you breathe has nothing to do with your nitrogen uptake. It is about depth and time. Air consumption is not a factor.
As Dr. Deco wisely added to a comment I made similar to yours above; in some cases air consumption is an indicator of heavy workload, which effectively decreases the time constant of some tissues, thereby increasing N2 loading.
So air consumption, per se, is not a factor, but in some cases it might be an indicator of additional nitrogen uptake.

Charlie,

You are correct. There are factors other than time and pressure which do affect nitrogen on and off gassing. Workload, physical conditioning, temperature and hydration level are some of them. I considered mentioning air consumption as it relates to work load, but figured it would merely confuse the issue and opted to stick to the main point. How much air you breathe does not directly affect the amount of nitrogen absorbed. You are correct that it can be an indicator of other factors which do directly affect nitrogen absorption.

Diverdman once bubbled...
Females make better divers specifically for the fact they dont use as much air as males.

I don't know where this kind of logic comes from. Females don't always have better use less air and even if they did there is more to being a good diver.

I usually dive with a HP120 tank which gives me two normal (50-70 min) dives per fill. However, if I'm diving deep I often use the extra air to spend more time at progressively shallower depths giving me an extra measure of safety.

If I stay at depth and exceed my non-deco limits, I have plenty of air left for several deco stops.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
I usually dive with a HP120 tank which gives me two normal (50-70 min) dives per fill. However, if I'm diving deep I often use the extra air to spend more time at progressively shallower depths giving me an extra measure of safety.

If I stay at depth and exceed my non-deco limits, I have plenty of air left for several deco stops.

Dr. Bill

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless my reasoning is off, making progressive stops only makes sense once a diver is shallow enough that he/she starts off-gassing. Typically about 30ft, is it? As long as one is deeper than that, the nitrogen intake does not stop, though it does slow down at the shallower depths.

-Roman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom