Glowsticks on night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnotherLemming

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good idea or not? They seem like a great way to tell everyone apart. Are fish or other things attracted to them?

Good idea or not? They seem like a great way to tell everyone apart. Are fish or other things attracted to them?

great idea--as someone else said some places require them----ie The Fling @ the Flower Gardens is one place......I've never had fish attracted to them....

I've never seen a fish mess with one attached to a diver....

my only concern is that often they are tied on with nylon string and easily lost.

I don't know any statistics on it, but I've wondered if they fall off, will fish eat them then? a big fish mistaking it for a "big green glow worm" of some sorts?

The chemicals in them can't be good for the fish/ocean.

Of course the alternative is a battery powered tank light. I'm sure that batteries in the ocean aren't much better....

I ziptie mine to my yolk. Never had one come off yet (40 night dives)
And most glow sticks are non-toxic...

I have never used one except for fishing. I wont tell you what we fished for but they worked. I dont think they are gonna cause you to be harassed by fish. Like anything else, if you like it, use it.

They're not a good idea for night or low-viz dives. . . They're a great idea! I personally like the dual-color ones for easily ID'ing my buddy if we run into a crowd.

What exactly is the point of them?

I have no idea :D. I guess so you have a little glowing dangling thing behind your head. If I dont see your light, I am not going to see that. I prefer to have several backup lights.

So you can tell where a diver is. Sometimes a diver turns off his light and you can still see where he is.

Buddies can use color combos to make identification easier.

Back
Top Bottom