Ft Lauderdale- Diving on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkennedy93

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All! I will be driving down to Ft Lauderdale for a week of diving in early November having certified almost a year ago. I will be traveling with 4 friends. So it's the end of the year and my whole group is running low on cash.... too much diving and fun this year, I guess.

Aside from the Lauderdale by the Sea spot - are there any other shore dives you would recommend in the area? We just want to see the pretty aquatic life. We'll save the wrecks for next year. (sigh)

If you don't mind an hour drive, check out the Blue Heron Bridge.

Wade's Page is a great website, detailing all the particulars on diving the bridge, but don't use their tide tables, they are from 2008. Blue Heron Bridge

Here is the chart for Port of Palm Beach for 2009. Tide Tables

Blue heron bridge like an hour north, deerfield peir i heard there was a spot, Breakers you got a bit of a walk (150ish yd swim) and might get wierd looks and gotta watch parking some has only an hour limit (I really wanna try it so anyone willing, let me know), Mcarthor park there is a bit you can see, and there is another spot that is supposidly Ok but not decent called ocean reef park (i think) and another park by briney breezes

Check out one of the local dive shops when you get down here. Most carry a book by Ray Mcallister "shore diving locations", don't get the boat diving one. The book is about $15 and will give you a lot of shore diving spots to pick from. Money well spent.

The Ero (hundreds of 4 ft jacks put in to prevent beach erosion) Jacks off of Dania are an interesting dive and worth doing a second time.

The Ero jacks are a good dive. Since it's shallow, you can take an hour just getting to the end of the jacks, then let go and head south on the nice reef for another hour, or till you're low on air.

In the same area, if you park at the south end of the same park the ero jacks are in, there is a good reef to dive.

When you're down here, shoot some of us Conch Divers a PM and we'd be happy to do some shore diving with you.

I personally like the Pompano drop off which is a little further out, but my favorite beach dive by a long shot. The Seatech ledge in Dania Beach is probably my second favorite beach dive. That can also be done right for the Erojacks as someone else said.

Both of those dives are a little deeper than LBTS (drop off is 30' and Seatech is 20ish'), which in November if the seas have picked up you'll probably have a lot less surge or ar least have more room for error than being 10'-15' deep at LBTS.

Either way, if your down for a week, you should be able to hit them all up.

Ditto everyone else's suggestions. One of the BIGGEST concerns about beach diving is where to park, safely, for enough hours without getting a ticket (watch out for LBTS!) without having to schlep your gear too far. Pretty much ALL Broward beaches from Pompano to Hollywood are diveable from a scenery and life standpoint, it's just "getting there." Give us a shout when you're down, you might get a lot of company! :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom