South Safari - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misa

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!

I`m doing this safari in 1 month. Marsa alam – brother Islands – Daedalus – Zabargad – Hamata and i want to know what reefs and what wrecks really worth the time? I really, really want to see dolphins, all type of sharks, especially whale shark, dugong, etc.

Thanks,
Misa

You have chosen the best area for big life, but there are no wrecks worth mentioning. The only place where you have any chance of seeing a dugong is Marsa Abu Dabab, but I'm not sure liveaboards are allowed to anchor there any more. There are resident dolphins at Samadai (a.k.a. dolphin house) but here too boats and divers are not allowed to approach them.

Sharks a plenty at Daedalus and Brothers though!

I enjoyed the shallow dives at St Johns most. Look for bioluminescent fish on night dives.

Enjoy,

Art

Last edited:
There are two very nice wrecks (wonderful soft corals) on Big Brother Island and you may dive them during your trip, provided the sea is not too rough for diving at the Brothers. These wrecks are the Numidia (20 to 70m+ deep) and the Aida (30 to 60m+). They are frequently dived during safaris, but swell and strong currents can be an issue, especially at the Numidia, though.

As Art said, Samadai may be disappointing but you may spot dolphins around Dangerous Reef (close to Soudan and part of St-John reefs safaris) while diving - it happened to me once. It's rare though.

On Zabargad there is also an interesting wreck (spy freighter ?) but it can be dived mostly when the sea is calm (not so commonly then).

Otherwise you'll see plenty of gorgeous corals, and probably some reef sharks. There are often hammerhead sharks at Daedalus but quite deep (45 to 60m+).

Beware that it can be tough diving there (especially the Brothers and especially in winter). Normally, safaris operators (and Egyptian regulations, as far as I know) ask for some experience (at least AOW diver and 50 dives) to bring customers there. Take it seriously.

Enjoy your trip.

Frogman: i`m AOWD with 50 dives in last 6 months. I`ve just came from Red Sea where i was in a beautiful wreck tour with Vixtor. We are irl friends. You can see the report here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/red-sea/308017-beautiful-wreck-tour.html

Thanks for the info guys! I`ll do some research about Aida and Numidia.

I hope i`ll see some big big animals.

Dugong is such a beauty!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom