Atomic Split Fins VS. Aqualung Slingshots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgunders

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a set of Mares Volo Power fins that are falling apart. Undecided as to whether I will purchase the Atomics or the Aqualungs. Any opinions to sway the purchase would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have tried them both.

For me, the Slingshots had more control - they backed up and helicoptered very well.

If you like the split fin "feel", the Atomics actually seemed to perform better than other splits.

...Try before you buy.

All the best, James

I have tried them both.

For me, the Slingshots had more control - they backed up and helicoptered very well.

If you like the split fin "feel", the Atomics actually seemed to perform better than other splits.

...Try before you buy.

All the best, James

I just bough a pair of smoke on the water atomic split fins and I am going down to the keys next week. I have not used them yet and have 2 dives scheduled for the thunderbolt which I hear can have significant currents. Should I be concerned with the split fins reputation for being not so good in a ripping current? Anyone have experience with this? Also how will they work up here with my drysuit and steel tank,pony bottle etc. ?

I refuse to get sucked into the endless debate about whether split fins are good or bad.

Everyone's different. Different kicking styles work best with different fins. Some folks have a kick that works best with splits, some with Force Fins, some with stiff paddles. Pick what's best for your style and don't let anyone tell you it's wrong.

I personally wear paddle fins, but I've seen talented divers wearing splits in a drysuit,
steel cylinder, etc (high drag) match me in my paddles, even in significant current.

The traditional argument against splits usually involves not being able to back up or helicopter. I personally can force splits into doing it, not as crisply as my regular fins, but it works. When you become advanced enough to need particluar fins for a focused activity (such as caving or deep wrecks or "tech" stuff, or freediving) then you'll know.

In the meantime, use what works for you. If you do well in splits now, you'll do as well as possible in a ripping current. In all honesty I can say I tend to see both splits and paddles going backwards, in even proportions, when the current picks up.

I'll add the only thing that seems to work well in a huge current is a scooter!

All the best, James

I have Atomics and love them. I also had a chance to use both the Slingshots and the Volo Powers in a demo day setting and bought the Volos. I use the Volos for classes, and like them better for shooting photos (splits do lose something when trying to hold a position with small movements). I like the splits for leisurely dives, although they work fine if I have to deal with current etc, just not as well as the Volos. I did not like the slingshots as they were not as comfortable (easy) as the splits, and not as efficient for me as the Volos. If I could only have one set, I'd keep the Volos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom