Small pole spears? Tank Mountable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

I was just curious if someone makes small pole spears that can hang off (and easily access) from a tank band...maybe 18-24" with paralyzer tip? Reason for me asking is for the next time I encounter a Lionfish (invasive species down here, however easy to corner) at my dive spots in S. Fla. ... most of the time I don't carry a pole spear with me, and trying to stab them with a knife doesn't seem all that wise (venomous fins)

If no one makes them, guess I could just make one with some fiberglass? Any mounting ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

I think you're looking for the " Fold Spear ". Friends of mine have used them and they say they are pretty good.

Foldspear - the holstered pole spear, spearfishing with polespear

foldspear_holster.jpg

looks good...kinda reminds me of those collapsible camping tent frames ;-)

Would be nice to have when the dive is intended for spearin' - would get less weird looks from beach goers without walking into the water with a 6ft pole ;-)

Can anyone out there attest to the ease of use/durability of this item?

looks good...kinda reminds me of those collapsible camping tent frames ;-)

Would be nice to have when the dive is intended for spearin' - would get less weird looks from beach goers without walking into the water with a 6ft pole ;-)
?

seeing how your location is Miami FL, and your above statement in BOLD...

you do know that it's against the law to spearfish within I think 100yards of the beach in Florida don't you?

from the regs:

You May NOT Spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging):

-- Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.

-- Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea--except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.

yeah...luckily where people spear at the places I dive are more than 300 feet from shore...

Can anyone out there attest to the ease of use/durability of this item?

I've had one for over a year now, and love it. Great for pulling out and using on the lionfish, travels easily in luggage, and you don't have to swim around with a pole in your hand the whole time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom