do you have a mustache?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spirit2bike

Reaction score
if this thread has appeared recently i apologize for the repeat, i'm new and at this moment i didn't have time to do a search.
anyway on to the question: how do you keep water from entering your mask? i've been told suntan lotion or vaseline both work which i have used both and they do both work. vaseline is bad for the mask and suntan lotion washes off. so, what do you use?

There is food grade silicone that your LDS should carry. If not, they can order it thru Trident. I have tubbs of this stuff. I put some under my nose along the line of the mustache and on the inside of my mask. It does not wash away and does not hurt the skirt of the mask. The large last me thru most of the year. If you have trouble finding it let me know, I will send ya some. Pretty good stuff

I have a mustache, and I don't have mask sealing issues.

However, my dive buddy has a bigger mustache and beard, and he has had problems with mask leakage in the past. He has found that the small plastic "tubs" of silicone grease work well for sealing his mask. His favorite is "Cat Crap" because it works very well, and it is so fun to "show and tell" other divers. Try it!

Wristshot

I don't use a thing & have never had a problem.
However I keep my mustache short & trim it before diving.

if you trim/shave it just a tad right below your nose, its not noticable and you get a good seal.

Otter once bubbled...
if you trim/shave it just a tad right below your nose, its not noticable and you get a good seal.

Yep ... this is commonly referred to as a "diver's trim" and it works well. I tried all sorts of gooey things, finally decided to trim it just enough to allow my mask skirt to seat under my nose. No more leaks ... and my wife thinks it looks good too.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use the plain clear chapstick. Keep the small tube in my BC pocket and just smear a little on my mustache and I'm good to go.

If your mask leak is bad enough to be a problem you have a poor fitting mask. A small amount of leakage shouldn't be a problem - clear your mask

thanks for the replies.
the leak is not enough to cause problems. it is actually just enough that i use it to defog my mask when needed & i purge the rest. my mask fits fine. i was just curious as to what everybody used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom