Setting up bp harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
Just got my bp and harness in from FredT and got the harness set up fairly easily with about enough left over for another harness. All went ok except one thing that I'm not too sure about. After setting up the waist buckle, it doesn't seem to get a good grip at all. I know its not supposed to be too tight of a fit, but I can easily pull the webbing through the buckle with it closed. By the way, this is without the crotch strap installed so its not too tight and adding to the problem. I even ran the webbing (from the right side) through the cinch part of the buckle in affect doubling the thickness of the harness when I run the left side into the buckle with about the same result. Should I bend the "tension arm?" on the back side of the buckle to provide a little more tension? Seems that having the buckle on my right side puts it in a position that takes away from its ability to get a good grip on the webbing. This is the stiff FredT webbing in case anyone is wondering. I found it to be just right for the bp and really not hard at all to install.

Sitting here with my bp on at the computer...

Jamie

Sounds like a bad buckle. I used some no-name metal buckle on mine and it locks up tight. Having to double the webbing sounds like a half-saaed solution. If it is not a good metal buckle, get one. If it is, return it & get another.

I have 2 or 3 of Fred's buckles and they work fine. Sounds like you just got a bad one.
Have Fred replace it.

MD

It came with the FredT harness... and I rigged it up just like it is rigged here....

http://dir-diver.com/pics/backplate/buckle2_large.jpg

I'm not sure of the quality of these buckles, but I've never heard of anyone having any problems with his buckles... Things happen though...

EDIT... and people goof up... I did... I think I threaded the webbing under the leading edge of the buckle instead of over it and under the latch lever which definately takes away the grip...

I'm too excited about getting it rigged up and not paying enough attention to the simple things...

One other question that I should probably address to FredT but maybe some of you guys that finished your own can help out with... Fred finished my alum bp (and did a great job, don't get me wrong), but whats the best way to really polish it up just to give it a really nice, smooth finish? Again, it looks great and is smoothed up really nice, I just want to brighten it up a little more. thanks guys

Whatever you do to make that plate look pretty, salt water will undo. Just use a 10 penny nail to scratch your name in it & go diving.

If you really want some other things to play with besides repositioning the D-rings, sew a piece of bungee cord below the D-ring on your right strap to capture your spare light. Then sew a piece of velcro strap high on the left shoulder strap to capture your inflator&corrugated hoses. Then cut them off & reposition them because they aren't quite right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom