What camera should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phrenzy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello there,
I’ve been diving for a little while now, and I am looking into taking a camera underwater. I have thought about using my current camera, a D200. But I realized there might be a disadvantage to using an older camera.

After looking at the situation, I realized it might be better to approach it from another angle. The best camera above water might not be the best camera underwater. So from the perspective of diving, what are some of the better cameras?

Right now I only dive cold water with thick wetsuit gloves. Most of my dives are either deep or at night or both. In time, I would like to travel and take pictures in warm water as well, but I would like I optimize my setup for when I am diving closer to home.

This is what I am thinking right now. I would like to get a better point and shoot camera to get familiar with photography underwater. I would imagine most of the time I would need a flash for my pictures. Ideally, the flash system I purchase would be able to work with the DLSR system I would eventually upgrade to. As an example, I would pick up a Canon G-10 and use the Ikelite DS160 TTL flash. Then once I am certain I enjoy lugging all the photo gear with me underwater, I would move to a DSLR and use the same DS160 flash. When I am done buying stuff, (ha!) I picture me with a DSLR and 2 big flash units underwater. Note: I am not married to any of those choices, just using them as an example.

Now diving deep and dark, I realize that any light that I will be using, I will need to bring it with me. Is it even worth bringing a point and shoot down to 100’ at night? I know you would need a flash, but how much better would a DSLR be? I would think that a D40 or D700 with a nice f/1.8 or f/2.8 could grab a lot more light.

So this is what I am asking. Is it worth messing with a point and shoot on the way to bigger and better toys? Or will I need to have a much larger lens to collect enough light?

The other thing I am wondering is what are the best cameras to use under water? Which ones have the best button placement and menu options? I will be diving with think wetsuit and drysuit gloves & I don’t want to go though half a dozen menus to make a simple change. That is annoying dry, on land, I can only imagine how bad it would be underwater.

Phrenzy I just noticed that no one has answered your post.

I think its worth while in messing about with a point and shoot camera like the Canon G9/10/11 as its a very capable camera. Especially when matched to a strobe like the Ikelite DS160. It might be an idea to match it with an Ikelite housing to get TTL from the strobe also.

What are you shooting down deep and dark? Macro or wide angle?? as you might want to add a wide angle wet lens to the setup for wide angle stuff.

As for best camera underwater. Well there isnt a correct answer. More like whats the best camera for you underwater and the best for your wallet.

Your D200 is a great camera if you choose to house it in the future. Might be chance to get a used housing in great condition at great price.

Regarding lenses, it will depend on what your shooting again. Wide angle lenses down deep and dark really require decent light output (unless your going to try long exposure shots on wrecks with tripod setups). The use of two big strobes like the DS160's would a great choice. If your doing macro work a single strobe will get great results and a good focusing light will be another recommendation.

But to really answer your questions we need to know what type of shooting your doing and what you want to get out of it (if that makes sense)?

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom