Buying Halcyon Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3500PSI

Reaction score
question #1
I am new to the world of scuba diving and am in the market for gear. I have read about every post on bc's in the board and have decided to buy a HALCYON BP/wing setup. My locol dive shops are all overpriced and have decided to buy online. Does anyone know of a cheap trustworthy online-store to buy from?

question #2
I dont know if i will ever dive a double setup but want a wing that would be versitile if i ever did. I dont really want to buy a $338 wing for singles then another $338 for doubles can the explorer be used for both?

1.) Halcyon uses "fair trade pricing"...it's the same no matter where you buy it from. Price list is available from Halcyon's website. You may get "slight" discounts from a local shop if you take classes etc...the old "10% student discount".

2.) You will need two wings if you want to dive doubles and singles. The Explorer and Pioneer are specifically designed for either a single or double config and will not work optimally with the other. Dude, the $300+ bucks you will spend on a doubles wing is small potatoes compaired to the cost of the tanks, bands, manifold and second first stage regulator...and if you are just starting out it will be a long way down the road anyhow.

You can't go wrong with a Pioneer and your LDS should be charging the same as any on-line dealer but they'll be able to help you get it set-up correctly as well.

I just looked at your profile...you live relatively close to 5thDimension...go see them...they sell the gear you want and are top notch people to deal with...you won't regret it one bit!

Bwerb pretty well gave you the straight stuff on Halycon. However, there are other options. Oxycheq (Koplin) and FredT both make excellent bp's. Oxycheq's wings will also be out shortly, with a single later this month I believe.

Regardless, Bwerb is correct. Use a single wing for singles and a double for doubles. If you don't "think" you need doubles, then you most likely don't.

MD

1 - www.fifthd.com

2 - I wouldn't recommend using a doubles wing for a single tank.....I'm not sure how it would work, but it would seem to me that there would be a LOT of extra wing flapping around. A doubles wing is not going to do you any good if you do not buy doubles to begin with......later if you ever decide to move to doubles, all you have to do is get the wing....it will fit on the same plate, and you can use everything else from your singles rig.

docmartin once bubbled...
sometimes you can get lucky on e-bay. they sold to halcyon bp/wings over the past couple of weeks. i am not sure for how much.

One sold last night for $400 for a Pioneer 27 MC System, brand new.

Personally, as first time buyer I'd rather spend the extra $100 and have the store help me with the setup for the first time. Not to mention the peace of mind of knowing I got it from a legit dealer.

Zerogravity once bubbled...
Sorry..that's www.extreme-exposure.com zg

No offense, but why would a Washington State diver want to mail order from Florida when 5thD is right down the block?

well if Halcyon gear is priced the same at every dive store, its a no brainer! I would rather buy my gear in person anyway. Thanks for all the great info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom