Any proof that dive computers improve safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Folks,
In our age of total statistics, it is easy to find statistical evidence that seat belts save lives, smoking promotes lung cancer, and ibuprofen relieves pain and inflammation.

However, though dive computers have been around since 80s, I've never seen any proof that using computers actually reduces the risk of injury, especially DCS, in recreational divers.

I am asking because some dive shops and liveaboards require mandatory dive computers for each diver; however, without solid scientific evidence of safety benefits from using dive computers, I would consider such demands premature. The numbers of decompression cases mentioned in DAN's study here DAN Divers Alert Network : Medical Research : Project Dive Exploration : FAQs are simply too small (only 28 recompressions + 300 mild symptoms like head ache in 10 years) for any conclusions, so I incline to think that no such prove exists.

But if someone knows some encouraging stats, please let me know.

Methinks you are asking the wrong question and thus won't get any valid answers. I don't believe anyone has made the claim that "diving a computer" will make you a safer diver -- safer than whom? As far as I can tell, safety has little or nothing to do with why entities require computers on the dives they run.

The primary reason to use a computer is to have a much more realistic dive profile for NDL purposes -- for the subsequent dive(s). Especially on boats, having the computer lets the boat run dives that "the tables" would prohibit -- but which are, of course, entirely safe.

For example, a typical Molokini dive -- go down to 100+ feet for 10 minutes and then wander back up the wall for a 50 minute total runtime dive. Using the tables, you'd have 50 minutes at 100+ feet which would put one well into deco -- but the reality is that you've not been close to pushing your M values.

It is not about safety, it is about convenience.

Folks,
In our age of total statistics, it is easy to find statistical evidence that seat belts save lives, smoking promotes lung cancer, and ibuprofen relieves pain and inflammation.

I have tooth bothering me, thrust me, it does!

Pete

However, though dive computers have been around since 80s, I've never seen any proof that using computers actually reduces the risk of injury, especially DCS, in recreational divers.

You won't either. There is no available data on the number of active divers or the number of dives they do or whether or not they dive with computers.

Terry

tarponchik,

You seemed to zero in on the dive boat requirement so consider the benefits there. Many dive boat destinations do pose the possibility of DCS. A percentage (probably high) either cannot manage a dive using tables or would just wing it if they could. By requiring a computer they have at least forced the presence of NDL management.

There is probably also a considered benefit in having a troubled diver surface with a record of their profiles.

As for realistic statistics that say that the increased usage of dive computers has led to an increase in safety I thing there are too many variables to make a solid case. Some divers will be spared by having something to manage their NDL while others will be teased into an "undeserved hit" by riding the limit. that's just one example of the puts and tales.

Pete

Pete

It is not about safety, it is about convenience.
Fine, but convenience cannot be mandatory. This is why power windows and cruise controls are not mandatory on cars in US, but seat belts are.

Peter hit it on the head, convenience, longer dives, etc. I think, though, an indirect case can be made for them as follows: When using tables there is typically the built in safety margin of not having made the entire dive at the table depth, this can be substantial. When using a computer, what you see is what you get ... more or less. Thus most computer divers are, I'd expect, a bit closer to the line than most table divers on divers that are decompression controlled, but there has not been a huge spike in decom cases. In the almost thirty years that have elapsed since I first dove a Cyberdiver (a brilliant device with the best "diver" interface ever: a thump switch, how had to bang the computer to make the functions change) dive computers have proved themselves to be rugged, dependable, accurate and precise; and every bit as safe as tables. As far as demanding the use of a computer is concerned ... I'd take my business elsewhere.

As for realistic statistics that say that the increased usage of dive computers has led to an increase in safety I thing there are too many variables to make a solid case.
Pete,
A simple stats like the percentage of DCS divers who used comps vs. overall percent divers using comps will do. Or a decline in number of DCS cases per 10,000 dives per
year, if it correlates with % of dives with computers. I am pretty easy to be convinced :blinking:

If you are comparing statistics then try to find statistics for DCS and using the tables which is the only other alternative, imo there is a greater risk of DCS using the tables due to the fact that each dive has to be calculated by the diver, ive seen to many divers learn tables in class then after their class ends a few months later they are out doing repetitive dives and have no idea how to do their tables again (if they havent bought a computer already). The tables are outdated imo and there is a reason that some of the agencies are starting to get rid of teaching them to divers.

Since computers are based on dive table data, there probably is no data that suggests that using a dive computer properly is safer than using dive tables properly, but using a computer is a more precise method then the dive tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom