Finding your salt water fish for a tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i know of people catching lion fish but that was for a research project at a university. i dont see why it would be any different.

I know a number of people who do this. There are a couple of warnings I would give you:

• Do not mix wild caught fish in to an established tank without a quarantine period for the new fish.
  • Learn how to do fresh water dips to help avoid problems
  • Having a tank for wild caught ONLY is the safest bet.
  • I would never mix wild caught in a tank that has a lot of expensive fish, mushrooms, corals, etc.
  • Make sure to download the regulations from the Florida Fish and Wildlife website about the collection saltwater fish from state waters.
  • Invest in a slurp gun or make your own
I have caught fish for my own tank...but I keep wild caught fish in a separate tank....I don't want to mix fish with the potential for disease or parasites in to my existing tank.

Is it common for people to find fish for there own tank? Buying salt water fish can be very expensive. just wondering if people have caught there own and put them in there own tank.

Wild caught fish are almost always healthier and less likely to carry diseases than fish bought from a shop. Most store bought fish were collected from the ocean anyway, and were subjected to long periods of storage, transportation, and exposure to many diseases while in a wholesaler's and/or collector's tank. I've been keeping salt water tropicals for more than 30 years, and catching my own almost as long. I've never had a disease problem with wild caught fish, but have had several with fish from pet stores. I now keep only wild caught fish, and have not had any disease problems in many years. Wholesalers and fish stores are major infectious disease sources because of the number of fish passing through. A major problem with catching your own fish is knowing how to do it properly using specialized equipment like deep vinyl nets. Slurp guns are not effective for most fishes. Keeping fish alive after they are caught and transporting them are other major issues, as are local laws. Florida requires a license, and provides a detailed list of rules, limits, etc. Understanding your own limitations, and the size requirements for the fish you catch are vital.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom