Blow a Safety Stop? Redescend ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LollyO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just read a thread that kinda sideways discussed this, but there were some varying , and some conflicting opinions and no clear answer. This question was not the orignal posters topic and I didnt want to add to the hi-jacking.

If one were to blow a safety stop, should one redescend and do the safety stop (and just add a few extra minutes)?

What would a dive computer tell you to do in this situation?

Also, does scuba board have a link that gives acess to tables and charts?
Dive Computers spoil us. I would like to see a chart which showed obligated saftey stop time for varying depth and dive times.

PADI requires a 3 minute safety stop if you "come up to or within 3 pressure groups of a no decompression limit and for any dive to a depth of 100 ft or deeper." It's written right on the PADI/DS&T RDP. I have no link, try googling it. Short of those conditions a safety stop is not required by PADI, it's just highly suggested. If I missed a safety stop, I probably would not re-descend. My computer doesn't care if I miss the safety stop. It would however get upset and lock-out some of the functions if I missed a mandatory deco-stop.

OK. Maybe you might find this helpful. I posted it on the other thread you referenced. Here's what the US Navy Diving Manual says:

4020969998_4526811e07_o.jpg

With regard to what the dive computer would "tell" you to do, manufacturers tend to program their computers differently. Usually this kind of stuff is covered in the user manual. If not, by all means, contact the manufacturer directly. What dive computer do you have?

Which tables and dive charts are you interested in? SB members might be able to direct you to an online image or let you know where you can purchase the table.

Please don't let the convenience of a dive computer lull you into a false sense of security. Plan your depth profiles and gas management...and execute the plan.

Have fun and dive safe...

I just read a thread that kinda sideways discussed this, but there were some varying , and some conflicting opinions and no clear answer. This question was not the orignal posters topic and I didnt want to add to the hi-jacking.

If one were to blow a safety stop, should one redescend and do the safety stop (and just add a few extra minutes)?

Dive Computers spoil us. I would like to see a chart which showed obligated saftey stop time for varying depth and dive times.

If you're diving a table, and don't come into the "safety stop required" zone on the table, then while most agencies recommend a safety stop on all dives... you don't need to re-descend and do one in the aforementioned case.

Realistically, if you're diving a computer, and not going into deco, you should be able to make a direct ascent to the surface no stop required, but is recommended. So if it was me... If I blew a safety stop on a No Deco dive, I wouldn't be overly concerned to the point where I would re-descend.

A Safety stop is a SAFETY precaution. It can be omited at any time in an emergency even if you fall within PADI's 3 pressure groups rule. It's never truely mandatory like a deco stop is. You can choose to skip a safety stop (and probably should) if emergencies arise such as someone running out of air, extremely strong and unexpected currents pick up, the boat's anchor comes unlodged, another diver has an emergency, a dive boats emergency recall goes off.. etc etc. So if you just missed your stop and had a conservative dive the better thing to do would probably be to get out, relax and maybe have an extra long one on the next dive. If you had a very fast ascent and thats why you blew the stop then you shouldnt get back in. you should get out, rest and monitor yourself for DCS. Probably not dive again that day.. drink lots of water.

A safety stop is a safety stop---not a required deco stop.........In the old days, safety stops were not around.....

In 37 years I have missed well over a thousand and never had a problem! It is a suggestion, as said, not a requirement and is to error on the conservative side of off gassing before breaking the surface! A slow accent is just as important if not more!

if there is no deco obligation, but a safety stop is mandatory per the tables, i would try my best to do some safety stop if i accidentally pass my safety stop depth

if i end up on the surface, then i would just add extra time to my surface interval

i would not go back down to do a mandatory safety stop (no deco is assumed)

Safety stops are NEVER mandatory! If your accent rate is normal or less don't worry about it! If it was too fast figure out what went wrong and do not repeat it! Learn form your mistakes and get better! In no-Deco diving there is NO required stop! If it were it would be a DECO stop!

No! Absolutely not! Safety stops are not required and redescending for such a short time puts you into concern over bubble pumping, in other words, redescending may be quite dangerous.
Nothing, dive computers do not care about safety stops.
There are no obligatory safety stops for any dive.

Back
Top Bottom