padi vs naui dive master certs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmuguy

Reaction score
Over the past 12 years I have slowly been accumulating certifications. I'm working on eventually getting my instructors license. My next cert is Dive Master.

However, the place I've gotten the last few certifications just switched from PADI to NAUI. They are suggesting I change over to NAUI dive master instead of PADI.

Do you think this is a good idea? Is the NAUI dive master program better than the Padi one? any info/opinions are greatly welcome.

THANKS!

ben

Oh no.. not another PADI vs NAUI arguement (ever notice that you can rearrange PADI to spell PAID??? freaky).

I Imagine, it depends on how the instructor teaches, and how you learn.

When I certed OW, my instructor was certified NAUI, PADI and ACUC, he reccommended NAUI cert for us, then ACUC, then PADI as a last choice. (Not sure if he got to keep more $$$ from them or if he truely liked NAUI AND ACUC better).

Dale

OMG so over the PADi Vs NAUI thing.

Just get certified in one or the other, then do a cross over so you are certified in both. Same with your instructors

Do all the crossovers then you can teach

PADI
NAUI
SSI

Naui divemaster is superior to the Padi. This is because the Naui rating will see you more advanced than the Padi cert. In the Padi system the ratings go divemaster-asst. instructor. The Naui divemaster is rated higher than snorkelling instructor and asst. instructor, so the training and certifications will reflect that and you will also receive those certs when you reach divemaster. The padi system includes asst instructor in the general IDC. In the end, you reach the part of open water instructor, but Naui gets you there in one less major course. The upside is less costs in the certs, but there are more options for professional work under Padi. 6 of 1, 1/2 doz of another. I have both, so you decide. There are pro's and cons to both systems, but competent training form a good instructor in either stream will see you going in the right direction.
Cheers Big Ears,
There can be only one,
The Gasman
:wink:

Just get certified in one or the other, then do a cross over so you are certified in both. Same with your instructors

Frankly, I have always been mystified as to why people become Instructors at the SAME LEVEL in multiple angencies. I really don't see how this is beneficial to either the student or the Instructor.

Yet, if you were to PROGRESS up the Instructor ladder, gaining more experience, being able to teach more Specialties and possibly up to an Instructor that can either assist teaching Instructor-level courses or an Instructor Trainer per se, well THAT is worthwhile. Better for the Instructor, better for the student.

To me this is akin to saying that you have a driver's licence from several states (or countries). What's the big deal?

However, if you start out as a basic driver then progresses to stock cars, then Grand Prix or Formula One... THAT shows something! Each level is higher than the last, with more experience gained. More skill.

Basically, the agency isn't what counts, it's the Instructor. It doesn't matter which one you go with!

~SubMariner~

Well, there's a quick way to resolve this...

Take a NAUI DM C-card, and a PADI DM C-card, smack 'em around and sitck them in a shoe box and let them fight to the death. The C-card that lives through it, wins!

gmuguy once bubbled...
Over the past 12 years I have slowly been accumulating certifications. I'm working on eventually getting my instructors license. My next cert is Dive Master.

However, the place I've gotten the last few certifications just switched from PADI to NAUI. They are suggesting I change over to NAUI dive master instead of PADI.

Do you think this is a good idea? Is the NAUI dive master program better than the Padi one? any info/opinions are greatly welcome.

THANKS!

ben

SubMariner once bubbled...

Frankly, I have always been mystified as to why people become Instructors at the SAME LEVEL in multiple angencies. I really don't see how this is beneficial to either the student or the Instructor.
~SubMariner~

For the $$, of course. The shop I worked at wanted to be affiliated with PADI for various reasons, so I had to do a crossover course to PADI. Mystery solved!
Neil

SubMariner once bubbled...

~SubMariner~

The Money

And the Debate
Somone says "ohh I dont want PADI" then you say Fine I will cert you NAUI, then they say "NAUI ohh Nooo" and you say well then SSI is your bag baby.

If you work in one area everyone is NAUI you work in another everyone is PADI, it makes perfect sense, you might be a **** hot instructor but if you can't teach the course then you don't get the job.

Avoiding the differences between agencies ( I have several different affiliations) and the debates. If that LDS is where you will be frequenting, I suggest following their lead.

Basically, do you plan to frequent a particular LDS or club, or even work for a particular LDS, get or provide referrals, etc? You may find it best to carry that certification. If you move to a different LDS or region that has more of another agency, then cross over, or move to next higher cert in that agency. Fairly simple.

Greg -

I notice you represent yourself as PADI MSDT, but you are only a NAUI assistant instructor. Just FYI, PADI does not require the AI course cert, prior to becoming an instructor...altho it is included in the general instructor course - no extra charge. Guess its so if someone does not meet the standards for instructor, or does not want to proceed to instructor, they may become cert as AI. Sounds like NAUI does the same. The PADI AI cert and staying locked into AI for a certain period of time was not a prerequisite to becoming an instructor...I went straight from DM to Instructor and never "practiced" as an AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom