So how hard would it be....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
to do underwater construction.. example

to build an underwater bunker in a pond, I figure it would be spiffy hiding place for loot or yourself or what not, build it big enough, then pump it up with compressed air to force the water out, you could hide a compresser someplace, run the line under the ground into the bunker, to keep the fresh air moving when your in there, and use another line to vent bubbles so that when your in there if someone were to walk by your "pond" they wouldn't see bubbles....

you could build it like a room with just a "port hole" for gettin in and out.

thoughts?

:confused:

FIXXERVI6 once bubbled...
thoughts?

Sounds feasible but why?
Where do you propose to keep the compressor? Wouldn't a long-running compressor be suspicious?

1) Who or what exactly do you plan to be hiding from?

2) Isn't that kind of what beavers build in ponds, only without the compressor?

3) I have heard of "Underwater Basketweaving courses, but not construction.

4) I really hope that you don't dive after smoking whatever that was that you were smoking.

5) What if you fart? Would you need a separate air hose so that passersby wouldn't see those bubbles?

6) . . . . . . . are you narced?

Common guys, give him a break. It is just his dream hideout. Give him your support.

Well, FIXXERVI6, you can decorate the pond with rocks and lights which can double as a ventilator. Good place to keep your treasure when on a dive trip :D .

I also have the same thought, but not in a pond, but in my 180 Gal fish tank.

.... hmmmm - I see a few problems with this idea, but it could work.

-First off, compressors tend to be pretty noisy. And what if the compressor quits? Depending on the size of your little habitat, the O2 would get used up (especially if some of it is being used to burn the wacky tabbacky :wink: )

- Unless you have an airlock - or is that a waterlock? - your porthole would have to be on the bottom or the air would just vent out when you opened the hatch. Same with the vent pipe - it would have to be designed/placed so all the air won't just get pushed out by H2O pressure if your compressor quits. Don't want those M16's getting wet now, do you?

the only time you would have to run the compresser is when your in there, otherwise as long as it was air tight the water would stay out.

I figured a port at the bottom, the air pressure would keep the water out, and as far as the vent pipe, all you do there is say put it 6" below the water line and have the housing extend a little beyond that, so what would happen would be as pressure builds up, water level drops and excess air flows out the pipe, shut the compressor off, water level rises until its above the vent pipe, air is trapped.

I just think it would be a neat idea, no one would think of looking for you/anything in there.

I thought about like if a person were to build a bomb shelter, if you could do it good enough that would make a fairly good one, water stops radiation fairly well, but that thought came after the "hey wouldn't it be neat" portion.

I was just walking by the bond, noticed that the vis is never over like a foot and thought, what a great hiding place.

Throwing a box in is just too simple, that looses the "neat" affect.

this?

Just curious, but if you're in your structure, and the air is compressed, then aren't you onloading nitrogen just as you would if you were at that depth with scuba?

or store several large tanks down there, and only run the compressor to pressure them up, when your in there, crack a few of them open just enough to keep the air flowing.

Back
Top Bottom