A request for fin recommendations from a diving chiropractor or rolfer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twhi

Reaction score
# of dives
I recently got an attack of sciatica on a liveaboard dive trip.
It s*cked big time. Lots of pain and more than a few missed dives.

My chiropractor back here at home suggested changing fin styles and switching to one with a larger boot size.
But he's just a snorkeler and not current (pardon the pun) on all the new styles and options that are now available.

My current fins are the old white Power Planas. Good kick propulsion but kinda stiff and not too flexible.

I'm about 6 ft tall, 250 lb, with 20+ years of regular diving experience and often dive with a small point and shoot camera.

Any ideas...?
thanks in advance.
_

I recently got an attack of sciatica on a liveaboard dive trip.
It s*cked big time. Lots of pain and more than a few missed dives.

My chiropractor back here at home suggested changing fin styles and switching to one with a larger boot size.
But he's just a snorkeler and not current (pardon the pun) on all the new styles and options that are now available.

My current fins are the old white Power Planas. Good kick propulsion but kinda stiff and not too flexible.

I'm about 6 ft tall, 250 lb, with 20+ years of regular diving experience and often dive with a small point and shoot camera.

Any ideas...?
thanks in advance.
_

A possible scenario is that the hip involment required with most fins, is exacerbating the muscle imbalances you appear to have--the sciatica. My solution would be finding the right exercises and stretching routine, plus probably a very good yoga instructor to evolve your postural health and core strength--ultimately this should fix the sciatica. Meanwhile, as Suzanne suggests, fins that require little to no hip use , but instead create thrust from the knees, should put much less stress on your already inflamed system. This would be a textbook use of Force Fins :)

But even if the Force fins fix your finning problem, you still need to get to the bottom of the sciatica -- never allow quack doctors to treat only the symptoms--you need to find the causes, and cure this problem for good.

Dan V

Hi twhi,

I'll second what Dan said, you do need to determine the cause (not always apparent) of your sympoms. Regardless of the cause of your sciatica, increasing flexiblity and core strength are the primary things you need to do to help with the sciatica... and in many cases will prevent future flare-up's.

As far as fins, either Force Fins or maybe split's.... you need to take the pressure off the sacroiliac joints and lower back until you can resolve the sciatica.

Good luck and best wishes.

I am not qualified to give medical advice, however, maybe my experience is of help:
I noticed that I have in general much less fatique in my legs and hips when using light weight closed heel fins along with thin dive socks. My favorite model are the Oceanic Caribe.
For many years I have some problems with my hip and knee joints, and generally feel much more comfortable with the softer, lighter fins.

Of course, that's no option when diving in a dry suit, and not great when shore diving in rocky areas or in a thick wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom