NEW Sport - Scooter Free Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Wait, there's nothing new about free diving with scooters, been around for decades. I used to play with DPVs and breathhold drops in the 1970's. Guys were probably doing long before that time too.

Despite all that, IT SEEMS NEW. There's playing and then there is doing new things or perhaps old things better. It might be free diving more efficiently, with technique developments and better scooters. I know there are mixed feelings about it but the sit on top aspect of the Apollo is a deal maker for me. Had excellent performance with one for about two years. I think X-Scooter has developed an add on to make theirs sit on top as well. Only seen it in a video never in person. Sit on top has a lot going for it particularly when shooting pictures/video. Hands free and minute position control through unconscious fin steering are the way to go in my opinion. I wouldn't go back to a conventional scooter tow setup myself at this point despite using that system for over 15 years previously.

The mobility and freedom are amazing both in lateral and vertical dives. I am an average free diver and yet the boost in capability is sure a lot of fun. A scooter is the only way many wrecks in deeper water can be dived in this area, there is too much current for conventional diving. There are downsides and cautions of course, things like planning for and coping with power failures, DCS issues, UW collisions, etc.. Still, all types of diving have problems, contingencies, technological and technique solutions and management strategies. As you are practicing something like apnea at rest, it is easy to achieve more than practical with fins and without pushing that hard. For this later reason the degree of safety "might" exceed conventional fin swimming in some dives?

I am still learning about free diving with scooters but the more I do it, the more I like it. Something addictive about it. There are a lot of videos showing dives on a variety of sites at: Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Not pushing anything but the novelty of scooter free diving but if I were in retail or instruction, I would take a hard look at it. One thing is for sure, doing this without proper training and preparation it has the potential to be particularly dangerous. With proper preparation and technique, different story I think.

Does anyone else feel this way about scooter free diving at this point?

Thanks,
Rick

Wait, there's nothing new about free diving with scooters, been around for decades. I used to play with DPVs and breathhold drops in the 1970's. Guys were probably doing long before that time too.

Despite all that, IT SEEMS NEW. There's playing and then there is doing new things or perhaps old things better. It might be free diving more efficiently, with technique developments and better scooters. I know there are mixed feelings about it but the sit on top aspect of the Apollo is a deal maker for me. Had excellent performance with one for about two years. I think X-Scooter has developed an add on to make theirs sit on top as well. Only seen it in a video never in person. Sit on top has a lot going for it particularly when shooting pictures/video. Hands free and minute position control through unconscious fin steering are the way to go in my opinion. I wouldn't go back to a conventional scooter tow setup myself at this point despite using that system for over 15 years previously.

The mobility and freedom are amazing both in lateral and vertical dives. I am an average free diver and yet the boost in capability is sure a lot of fun. A scooter is the only way many wrecks in deeper water can be dived in this area, there is too much current for conventional diving. There are downsides and cautions of course, things like planning for and coping with power failures, DCS issues, UW collisions, etc.. Still, all types of diving have problems, contingencies, technological and technique solutions and management strategies. As you are practicing something like apnea at rest, it is easy to achieve more than practical with fins and without pushing that hard. For this later reason the degree of safety "might" exceed conventional fin swimming in some dives?

I am still learning about free diving with scooters but the more I do it, the more I like it. Something addictive about it. There are a lot of videos showing dives on a variety of sites at: Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Not pushing anything but the novelty of scooter free diving but if I were in retail or instruction, I would take a hard look at it. One thing is for sure, doing this without proper training and preparation it has the potential to be particularly dangerous. With proper preparation and technique, different story I think.

Does anyone else feel this way about scooter free diving at this point?

Thanks,
Rick

Just got into scuba diving with a Apollo AV1 but have never really thought of the free diving posibilities. The first thought that comes to mind is the need to attached a lift bag to the unit if it fails at depth as the AV1 is 1 pound negative but more importantly a lot of drag without any propulsion. Will experiment. Thanks! Scott

Anyone free diving with a scooter needs to be prepared in advance for a power failure at depth. A very good rule of thumb is to never go deeper or stay longer than you can reliably return from on your own without the scooter assist. If you are very deep, swimming the scooter back up is likely out of the question. You have bare seconds to act, so this is something it pays to work out in advance.

Some just make sure their scooter is positive. Still, in a strong current and in waves, you may not be able to find it again once it surfaces. Even with a lift bag, unless you go up with it the same outcome may result.

I would guess you could carry a tank (say 6 to 8 cft.) transverse at the small of your back to blow a lift bag and ride the lot up. You would want to experiment with bag size and lift speed. I've learned you don't want too small a buoyancy package if you want to hit the surface in a reasonable time frame. Also, there is usually an inflation delay at depth. Ideally you would want the bag tied in place and ready to go after unrolling it.

It is best to find some good training in free diving and free diving with scooters. There is a lot that can go wrong, some not real obvious either.

Free diving with an underwater scooter is fun and significantly extends your range. Also helps with currents, wind etc. As posted above-follow proper DPV operating practices.

Ditto all you just said, glad to encounter a like minded individual. It really is the cat's pj's when things come together. There are a number of cautions though, as you say.

Here's a recent video clip from scooter free diving a wreck in 140 ft. in the Florida Keys. Most of the drops are a lot shallower than that.

Video - A unique look at a deeper wreck on a breath via two video cameras - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

sg%20in%20transit%202.jpg

Towing out to the sinking grounds

Very true, shallow enough and have enough reserve to make it back to the surface. Need to go over "what if?" in advance, how you would react and actually practicing those reactions. Hauling the scooter up with you is not a good idea unless you are fairly shallow and well able to do so. Taking substantial steps to minimize the likelihood of a power failure are also essential. Still things will happen despite precautions at times, hence the need to prepare. Some scooters float but the current can have the scooter well out of site in local deeper spots. Waves make sighting and recovery more uncertain. There are things you can try to do to keep tabs on your scooter in these scenaros but ultimately losing a scooter beats losing your life!

I think that the use of a DPV in free diving has people often thinking of increasing their depth vs. the benefit that it can provide in increasing their range in shallow dives. I have used my Tekna DV-3X for scouting large areas of shallow reefs for specific photography subjects that would otherwise have required multiple scuba dives to locate (at least in my case). If an adjacent sandy bottom is available, I park the DPV there and take my bubble-free pictures (without needing a rebreather) on my next breath. Sometimes I've also used a small inflatable float & tether when I need to "park" the DPV on the surface and go take my shot. I remember one dive on the Columbia Shallows in Cozumel where I passed four separate boatload/groups of snorkelers and then passed them all again on the return trip -- all on one breath. I was in a little better shape back then... :wink:

Good point, scooters provide a nice recon platform and if you are free diving, the lesser resistance and start and stop running can really extend your time. Add in carrying extra batteries on your support boat and you are set. It is strange about bubbles, for near field subjects they can be a pain particularly in still photography. For video, particularly on descent in blue water they can add an extra quality. Was just down in Cozumel over the weekend and shot some video. Sounds like you were really cruising on your dive on Columbia Shallows. Just put up two unprocessed clips of scooter free dives on Palancar wall. One with, one without bubbles at:

Short Video, Free Diving Palancar Wall - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom