Reef Rods -- Reef safe? Environmentally friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
Another thread brought me to a discussion about the use of 'reef rods.' I saw these in use for the first time in Fiji last month. The intent is that a diver can stick it into the reef and push themselves off so they do not run into the coral. I also saw it used to scare animals out of hiding for the world to see such as octos and lion fish.

Some argue that it is good for the reef since it prevents the diver who can't control their propulsion from hitting things (sort of).

What do you think?
600__MG_7507_Tony_Rod_Barracuda_Shoels.jpg

The intent is that a diver can stick it into the reef and push themselves off so they do not run into the coral.

Some argue that it is good for the reef since it prevents the diver who can't control their propulsion from hitting things (sort of).

What do you think?

Sounds like an equipment solution to a skills problem to me.

Depending on how they are used, I can't see them being any more harmful than fins. I would imagine the impact on a reef would be greater with a one finger push off than a properly used rod.

Not for me, but as long as divers aren't poking me in the eye or skewering things with it, I can think of worse things.

Depending on how they are used, I can't see them being any more harmful than fins. I would imagine the impact on a reef would be greater with a one finger push off than a properly used rod.

Not for me, but as long as divers aren't poking me in the eye or skewering things with it, I can think of worse things.

I thought about that too. The whole idea of places banning gloves though is so that you wont touch the SHARP live coral. However, if you've got a long metal stick you aren't nearly as motivated to not touch the coral.

It must be torturous to be a DM in prestine locales. PADI should donate them by the thousands to make up for their abreviated OW classes.

Last edited:
Sounds like an equipment solution to a skills problem to me.

Damn. That's exactly what I thought too bu you beat me too it.

At least if it LOOKED like a crutch you could understand it....

R..

I first saw them used in Indonesia ... on reefs where drift divers were using them to hold still while taking pictures of macro subjects like pygmy seahorses.

Like any tool, they can be used or abused. I think for divers who do not possess good skills, they can help prevent accidental reef damage. Of course, one could argue that such divers shouldn't be diving in conditions where they need them ... but reality is that they do. And those few days they're in a place like Komodo or Bunaken I doubt anyone's going to talk them into spending their dive time working on better buoyancy control.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A lot of professional and recreational divers in the Philippines use it. Primarily for the following purposes: Point out marine life; tank banger to get your attention; some sort of anchor rod to use when crawling on the bottom fighting the current (in case of emergencies, when you need to jab into live coral, you only ruin a half-inch diameter area - minimal damage - instead of a big chunk); and, as a cane to help keep you still when photographing marine life (again, only used on dead coral or rocks with no coral cover or sandy bottom). I do not carry one of these sticks but use a glove on one hand only (when it is prohibited to use gloves) so I can use my middle and index fingers to do some of the things I mentioned above. I am thinking of getting one of these rods when I am in the Philippines again (that's early next year).

I have been on dives in the Philippines (I have not seen them used in Mexico, Pacific NW, and the CA Coast) where I have seen divers use these rods or sticks to abuse marine life. These sticks are meant for good but, if used in ways its not meant to be then it becomes a bad tool. Similar to gloves and guns.

A lot of professional and recreational divers in the Philippines use it. Primarily for the following purposes: Point out marine life; tank banger to get your attention; some sort of anchor rod to use when crawling on the bottom fighting the current (in case of emergencies, when you need to jab into live coral, you only ruin a half-inch diameter area - minimal damage - instead of a big chunk)

I could see this as more useful for a professional than a recreational diver. I've done all of these things with the knife I carry with me on every dive. Since I carry my knife in a sheath, rather than my hand, there's less temptation to "abuse" the use of it.

I could see the benefit for a photographer using the rod like a monopod if there is some way to attach it to the camera housing for more stable shots.

If the sites which ban gloves were experiencing destruction as a result of rod use, it seems likely they would ban rods as well. If used responsibly, there should be zero impact.

It would be great if every diver had the time, ability and desire to get their act together to the point that they didn't need such crutches. Unfortunately, that will never happen. We could deny access, but that's not going to happen, either. If the rod will assist these divers in staying off the reef, isn't it better they use it?

I thought about that too. The whole idea of places banning gloves though is so that you wont touch the SHARP live coral. However, if you've got a long metal stick you aren't nearly as motivated to not touch the coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom