spearing on scuba-gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveMD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
what kind of bc etc do most of you guys prefer for spearing? any different than what you would use for other things

ie spearing with a wing vs jacket etc?

I use back inflation for all diving including spearing. I personally dont know anyone that spears in a jacket but then again I don't know but a handful of people that even dive with a jacket.

Umm if it works it works, My friends use jackets and spear, i use back inflate. I can see if you use alot of air in the bladder that the Back inflate might hold you more horrizontal where some shots are nicer vertical but i dont think you would run into that problem too easily

I agree with wright - if it works for you- go for it; but with respect to minimalism, I really think back inflate or BP/W is the best way to go. My brother wears a jacket, and he does ok, but if / when you have a fish stringer (especially with fish on it), reel, speargun, SMB, light, and hoses hanging off of you, who really wants to be even more constricted by a jacket inflate.

In addition to that, a jacket BC could offer a higher risk of being punctured. I've never heard of that happening, but with all the spines on fish down there (such as triggerfish which have an extremely sharp and solid spine) I could definitely see it happening.

Backplate and wing with a hog harness. Allows you to position D-rings where they are needed like for fish floats, stringers, lobster bags, etc.

I agree with wright - if it works for you- go for it; but with respect to minimalism, I really think back inflate or BP/W is the best way to go. My brother wears a jacket, and he does ok, but if / when you have a fish stringer (especially with fish on it), reel, speargun, SMB, light, and hoses hanging off of you, who really wants to be even more constricted by a jacket inflate.

In addition to that, a jacket BC could offer a higher risk of being punctured. I've never heard of that happening, but with all the spines on fish down there (such as triggerfish which have an extremely sharp and solid spine) I could definitely see it happening.

Never seen triggerfish to have sharp spines? Many BP/W are more susceptible to puncture due to a less rugged cover.

Most people I know use a typical BC for spearfishing, I use both types of BC's. I don't think spearfishing makes a big difference about the type of BC.

BP/W is the way to go...

If you are worried about the sustainability of the material, consider getting an Oxycheq Extreme wing, that material is tougher than any bcd around...its cool looking too.

Bonedoc, I don't know what your plans are, but my friends and I hold the speargun in our hands. What kind of BC doesn't make any difference. I've found it easy to spearfish without any float, with the old horse collar, jackets and backplate. I didn't notice the fish behaving any differently, they all fall to a good hit by a good spear, placed well.

Johnoly, wears a BP\W with a hog harness with added D rings, where he needs them for his experience. His equipment fits his style of diving. Ask him and I'll bet he dives deeper, shoot bigger fish and gets in and out of the boat fewer times than I do.

I've dove competitition where you're in and out of the water 15 to 20 times hopping from place to place. In and out of the boat fast was important. Divers I know have used home made Hawaii rigs, horse collar, jackets, back inflates. . . everything but BP/W, because speed in and out of the water was more important than multiple tanks diving deep for two or four drops in a day of diving.

For many divers on this board, they need the advantages of strapping on multiple tanks, strapping on 3 or 4 lights, adaptability for no suit, wet suit or drysuit. . . these are all good reasons for A BP/W.

For the majority of divers, they will dive with one tank at a time, they'll dive shallower no-decompression dives. Most will dive warm water either in summer, or tropical locations, And they'll dive a jacket or back inflate, if they shopped for a comfortable fit.

BP/W are a fashion statement for many on the board. . . If you need their benefits, go for it. If you think you look more "technical", you're not fooling anyone. In the past, I dove backplates singles and doubles and could put it on over my head as fast as other divers could put on their rigs. . . and putting on your equipment fast, by your self was necessary. If you're trying this and slip, you're throwing a lot of weight around. What ever equipment you learn to use efficiently, you must be safe and self sufficient to impress others.

Never seen triggerfish to have sharp spines? Many BP/W are more susceptible to puncture due to a less rugged cover.

Most people I know use a typical BC for spearfishing, I use both types of BC's. I don't think spearfishing makes a big difference about the type of BC.

Florida Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Department

I'm assuming then, that you have never run across a Grey Triggerfish. On the link above, scroll down to the 'Distinctive Features' The fin furthest to the front is normally imbedded into the back of the fish. However, when provoked, the fin pops up and can be used as a defensive method. I've been stuck twice with it and it is not a good feeling. Maybe "pointy" would be the more preferred word?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom